Thank you forum and Bill

Maddog1

I just wanted to take a moment in thanking this forum, and in particular Bill for saving me from making a big mistake, which could have ruined my life. Before I explain how they did this, I would like to give a little background on my life.

I worried growing up that I would someday be bald, just like my dad, and when I was 25 I made the biggest mistake of my life. I worked with someone I always thought had great looking hair, and I found out through someone else that he wore a hairpiece. Well, I still had quite a bit of hair at this time, but I thought it would be a brilliant idea to do something before it was noticeable, so I went to Hairline Creations in Chicago and told them my story.

Of course they agreed this was a great strategy, even though as I look back at pictures of me, I can hardly see any recession at all. I ended up spending $1,700 on a hairpiece that required them to shave my head to be able to attach to my head. They assured me that nobody would notice the difference, since I had so much hair already. I told nobody that I was going to do this, hoping I would never have to, because nobody would ever know the difference. What a fool I was. (Please don't anybody make that same mistake. Whatever decision you are looking to make with hair replacement-talk to someone else, so you can get an honest opinion on what they would recommend)

Needless to say, I went through with this decision, and it ruined the next two years of my life. Everybody knew it was a hairpiece, and the wind was my worst enemy. I pretty much stopped my normal life for the next two years. Since they had shaved my head, it wasn't like I could just take it off, so I endured until I just couldn't take it anymore. That was the best decision of my life.

Now here is where the Forum and Bill come in. I almost made a bigger mistake a couple of years ago, until I stumbled upon this forum. At this time, I was almost 50, and had lost some hair, and now I wanted to get a hair transplant, thinking this had been perfected enough that I could look the way that I wanted, and have lost all the hair that I was going to lose.

I visited Dr. Kahn, in Chicago, (not a coalition member) and had a consultation about getting a transplant. Although I really wasn't impressed with her, she bragged about how she had the latest technology in hair transplants. Once again, being impulsive, I decided this is what I was going to do. Just prior to doing the transplant, I thought maybe I should google her name and just see what information I could find out about her patients, really expecting to see great things. Well I stumbled on a message from Bill talking about this Dr. and telling someone else to instead check in with Dr. Konier in Oakbrook.

Although I really wanted to just get this done with right away, I thought, maybe I should check in with someone else just to be on the safe side. Well to this day, I wake up in a cold sweat, thinking about what I almost did. This would have been a permanent mistake. I realized after meeting with Dr. Konior that this was who I wanted to work with. I immediately trusted him, and realized that I would have looked like a freak for the rest of my life had I gone with my first decision. She drew on my forhead where my new hairline was going to be. (just above my eyebrows-If I had done that with the amount of hairs she suggested it would have most certainly looked like doll plugs with big gaps.

Well, Dr. Konior wouldn't even let me decide that day whether to have this done, until I went home and thought about it. (This went against my very nature of making decisions as you can see above) I couldn't be happier with my decision. I would recommend him and his staff to anyone. I don't even think about my hair anymore, whereas before that was all I thought about, and hats were a must.

This forum and Bill were so informative to me, and I just want to thank you so much. Sorry for the long post.

Maddog1,

It's posts like these that show just how much impact this community can make on people's lives.

While I'm not familiar with the first physician you consulted with, in my opinion, Dr. Konior is one of the most meticulous and caring physicians in hair restoration. He'll spend hours each week educating hair loss sufferers, even those he knows aren't good candidates for surgery. His integrity and dedication to performing world class hair transplants is second to none.

Hair loss is an emotional battle, and whlie it's tempting to make decisions on impulse, it's crucial to research and explore all options and make rational and informed decisions. Taking the time to research your options led you to an excellent physician to make your hair restoration dreams a reality.

How long ago did you have your procedure? Do you have photos you can share with us?

I'd encourage you to create your very own patient website to share your story and photos. Your shared experience will help others like you find Dr. Konior and make informed decisions.

I look forward to seeing some photos documenting your transformation :-).

Best wishes,

Bill

I haven't seen a professional in person yet. This is the first time I have ever thought of getting a transplant, and frankly a family member has insisted I get my hair back. How much money is she looking at? Where should I go to the best? I live in Ohio, should I go to someone close to me? Or should I? How much time off work would I lose, and could I wear a hat after? How many surgeries would I have to go through and how much for each? Most importantly How do I know If I am a good candidate?

Thanks, Default icon_smile.gif

This is the first time I have ever thought of getting a transplant, and frankly a family member has insisted I get my hair back.

default,

For starters, you may want to start your own thread so as to keep this topic reserved for Maddog1.

However, I strongly encourage you to only consider hair transplantation if YOU want it...not because some family member "insists" on it.

Best wishes,

Bill

You will be in good hands with Dr. Konior mate!!!

He does great work and is a caring, meticulous doctor.

Please let us know how things are going.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.