Minoxidil and finasteride

Hii everyone.

Actually i am starting medication in a week finasteride and minoxidil, i am buying Rogaine but actually i am confused which one to get the liquid or the foam??
Although some say the liquid is better and other says the foam is better and another group advice to stat away from minoxidil actually and it’s confusing! Also i have been hearing that topical Finasteride and oral Minoxidil is coming up and its better in many ways i will be happy for the advice.

thanks in advance!

I used the 3% and 5% liquid age 16 to 20.

Age 20 - 25 I used 12.5% cream and 1mg propecia

From 25 - 30 I used 5% rogaine foam and 5mg proscar cut into quarters

Now I use a liquid combination of topical finasteride and 6% minoxidil.

In my opinion the best thing for new people is 5% rogaine foam and 1mg branded propecia...but start slowly with the propecia by cutting it in half and only taking it a few times a week for the first few months.

This should stabilise your loss and maybe give you some regrowth - then in a year or two you can explore topical solutions or proscar etc. 

You should also consider dermarolling once per week - that and the topical fin/minox is making my hair look great right now.

Edited by TommyLucchese
  • Like 2

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

52 minutes ago, TommyLucchese said:

In my opinion the best thing for new people is 5% rogaine foam and 1mg branded propecia...but start slowly with the propecia by cutting it in half and only taking it a few times a week for the first few months.

This should stabilise your loss and maybe give you some regrowth - then in a year or two you can explore topical solutions or proscar etc. 

You should also consider dermarolling once per week - that and the topical fin/minox is making my hair look great right now.

This is great advice. I personally would start with finasteride first, wait a year and then consider minoxidil. Finasteride is the main power here against the fight. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TommyLucchese said:

Okaay seems a very good plan, but unfortunately i dont have propecia in my country, only Proscar so i just bought it and will start, also cutting it into similar pieces is not easy, what do you think is okay to start with proscar?? 
also what is this liquid combination that you use of finasteride and minoxidil?? And do you get 6% minoxidil?? 

18 hours ago, Abo Leel said:

Okaay seems a very good plan, but unfortunately i dont have propecia in my country, only Proscar so i just bought it and will start, also cutting it into similar pieces is not easy, what do you think is okay to start with proscar?? 
also what is this liquid combination that you use of finasteride and minoxidil?? And do you get 6% minoxidil?? 

What country are you in? The pill is easy to cut if you have a pill cutter. If you cut one pill into four pieces, each piece is 1.25 mg of finasteride. Proscar is a cost saving but doesn't give you much flexibility in managing your dose. If you cant source 1mg propecia where you are, then I suggest cutting your proscar to quarters, and take one quarter say 3x a week to begin. Do that for a while and slowly move the up, maybe after 6 months up it to 4x a week instead of 3. etc.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2020 at 1:05 AM, Abo Leel said:

You can get pill cutters on Amazon pretty cheap.

Check out minoxidil max or Morr-F on ebay for topical fin and minoxidil combos.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon