Continuing Minoxidil/Rogaine a few months post-op?

It's been about 4.5 months since my transplant. Growth is coming in, but slowly. Prior to the procedure, I was on Minox/Finasteride for 4-ish years. I'm still continuing Finasteride and Minox on my crown area, but I stopped applying to my temples/transplanted hairs. I should also note that I never saw any regrowth in my temple area from Minox, only maintained my hair from Fin- that was part of the reason why I stopped my temple area altogether. 

I'm curious if there are any benefits of getting back on Minoxidil for my temples? Would it help the transplanted hairs grow faster, or am I already past the stage of any potential Minox benefits post-op? My idea was to start applying 1x a day at night for however long it would take to see significant graft growth. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. 

For your temples I don’t believe it will do anything more for you than what finasteride will.  Donor hair is more dht resistant than your native but still susceptible to suffer from it, so the finasteride will help maintain your transplanted hairs. As for minox, it’s just a hair stimulant, but it could potentially help keep your transplanted hair’s growth phase last longer too. For that reason I don’t see a problem in applying just a little in your temples if you are already doing it for the rest of your hair. 

I’ll be seeing my surgeon soon and will be asking him a few questions, I’ll ask about minoxidil as well as I’m curious to see what he’d say. I’ll get back to your post 

On 10/13/2020 at 10:21 PM, TorontoMan said:

For your temples I don’t believe it will do anything more for you than what finasteride will.  Donor hair is more dht resistant than your native but still susceptible to suffer from it, so the finasteride will help maintain your transplanted hairs. As for minox, it’s just a hair stimulant, but it could potentially help keep your transplanted hair’s growth phase last longer too. For that reason I don’t see a problem in applying just a little in your temples if you are already doing it for the rest of your hair. 

I’ll be seeing my surgeon soon and will be asking him a few questions, I’ll ask about minoxidil as well as I’m curious to see what he’d say. I’ll get back to your post 

Thanks I appreciate the feedback. I'm interested to see what your surgeon says!

At 4.5 months everything is pretty much in the ramping up phase already or will be fairly soon. Starting minox now might cause a temporary shed for some of your hairs as it resets and extends your growth cycles.