How long between FUE transplants on different areas of the noggin?

I apologise, as I'm sure this has been asked, but I couldn't find the answer.

How long does one have to wait between FUE transplants, if the first one was on the front and middle, and the second on the crown?

I think 9 months is possible, but only if you have significant growth, say 90%, from the first HT.

• Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

6 hours ago, jc80220 said:

Thanks, Matt. Why does there have to be significant growth?

Shock loss in the donor will probably have recovered too, so the doctor can have a full picture of what is left.

Also, it is good to see the first HT is successful before proceeding with another

• Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Jc80220,

Honestly, the answer to this question varies on both the donor area and the recipient area properties.  Allow me to explain.

If you are undergoing FUE in the front and then your next hair transplant is in the back, you could technically get them back to back in a two day procedure depending on the available donor hair supply in a single session and how many grafts/hairs are required in each area of the scalp

Note that one procedure could take multiple days. However, there’s only so many grafts that can harvested via FUE at one time without overtaxing the donor area.  

So For example, if your first procedure took two days and covers the entire frontal half and used up all the available donor area in a single session, then you would likely have to wait 9 to 12 months before undergoing a second procedure in a different area or even the same area of the scalp.  

However, if you only require a small number of grafts in the frontal area and had plenty of available donor hair left via FUE without having to wait for the donor area to heal, you could target another area of the scalp rather quickly after the first procedure.  That said, if you’re targeting the same area of the scalp in a second procedure, regardless of the available donor you will want to allow 9 to 12 months for the recipient area to heal and new hair to grow prior to undergoing a second procedure

Does that make sense?

Best wishes,

Bill

• Like 1

• Moderators

If you are considering doing half now and then going back in a few months to finish the second half then you should ask about having donor only taken from only one side on the first procedure and then use the other side for the 2nd procedure. The reason to do this would be because if the entire donor is used in the first procedure, donor area shock loss could make it not possible or practical to do another round until the hair lost from shock grows back which could take 9 months or more.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.