Question about DUPA - Hopefully someone can clarify.

Hi guys,

I have spoke with few doctors already but I do want to hear your opinion about that.

I am writing this thread on my brother behalf.

He is Norwood 6, 28 years old with DUPA. When looking at family members, which all ended Norwood 6 (Over 20 members including cousins, uncles). 

70% of them also have DUPA, they lost their nape area, their donor is thinner, but STILL have remaining grafts, I would say 50% are gone. It's perfectly stable now.

My brother is wearing an hair piece, he committed it since he was 21 years old and won't discontinue.

The idea is to transplant 1,000 grafts at the front hairline, FUE scars are not an issue (SMP, and he's actually a tattoo artist).

If he is looking for 1,000 grafts ONLY and willing to go under even three surgeries (First surgery 1,000 FUE, picking best grafts, second FUE after few years touch-up of those grafts that fall, few years later around 40 another FUE). So eventually 1,000 grafts will remain.

I know most may think it's crazy but this is something he is 100% comfortable with, with long term plan the only question is AS LONG there will be remaining hairs at the donor and not completely bald there, does this idea may work? And again, he needs only 1,000 grafts that will eventually survive and willing to roulette (And of course picking the best FUE grafts, not miniaturized each operation and just hope most will remain).

Let me know your thoughts, I am unable to think on any risk since there is SMP to cover those scars + He is asking for 1,000 grafts only).

Thanks!

Hey Phil! Thank you so much bfor your detailed response!!!

He was taking Propecia for 3 years with zero effect so he just stopped.

"If the plan is to transplant 1000 grafts with the assumption they will eventually fail, then touch them up periodically, your brother also needs to take into account that scarring occurs in the recipient area as well when you transplant the hairs, and with each successive touch up transplanting the region becomes progressively harder and harder to do with greater risks attached."

This is something I didn't know, however, let's say he starts with 1,000 FUE (The doctor will take unminiaturized grafts only), since the area is unstable you won't be able to tell which of those grafts will survive at the future, in case touch-up is necessary and I am 99% sure it will be necessary then he can have another surgery few years after with few hundreds grafts. I understand the risks of course BUT in case his final stage is just thin sides/donor but not completely bald, would it safe to say that SOME grafts will remain? The thing with hair system, I'd he transplant 50grafts/cm2 in the first 1 CM and only 30 will remain, he will still be able to make it look 100% natural.

I just don't understand one thing, a person with DUPA will still have remaining grafts on their donor, if those specific grafts that survived will be taken, would it be safe to say they will remain for good?

I always read that people with unstable donor should stay away from HT and I clearly understand why buy if the goal is to have 1,000 grafts only that will remain under 2-3 different producers + The person is wearing hair piece for the rest of his life, would it be more acceptable?

Thanks!!!