Dr Pathomvanic or Dr Tykocinski

TC17,

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with.

16+ examples of photos is a good number and doesn't fit the definition of "scarce". But I do understand why patients want to see more, especially examples from actual patients. By no means am I disputing this. I only wanted to point out what I thought may have been missed.

Best wishes,

Bill

The spring before my senior year of high school my football coach took clips of my best plays and put them together with music to create a highlight tape to send to college coaches who were interested in me as a player. The tape lasted about 15 or 20 minutes and made me look as if I was the second coming of John Elway. The tape did not show the interceptions, fumbles, bad decisions, and inaccurate throws though. I received a lot of positive feedback and a lot of phone calls and emails from coaches from top 10 programs in the country the summer before my senior year and I did fairly well at some summer camps. However, when my senior season started and coaches began watching me play in person, the flaws in my game became more apparent. In person it was easy to see that I didn't go through my progressions, was too quick to take off and run, threw a flat deep ball, forced too many throws, etc. Needless to say, by about the middle of my senior year the Oklahomas and the Michigans no longer called, and I was only offered scholarships from some MAC and WAC programs. What's the point in that story? In my highlight tape, I showcased what I wanted to be seen. It was a fair and accurate portrayal of my talents as a quarterback, after all, the 40 yard digs that I zipped in weren't faked, my ability to tuck the ball and run and make people miss in the open field wasn't either. My highlight tape is analogous to the physician posted results.

My junior year was 10 regular season and 1 playoff game. That comes out to 332 minutes of football with a 15-20 minute highlight tape. If you assume that we were on offense for half of that time, that means I had 166 minutes to cut down to a 15 minute tape. I'll completely ignore the fact that I handed the ball off far more than I threw, and use just the 166 minute to make my point. The 15 minute highlight tape was about 11% of my body of work and no coach worth their salt put any stock in that other than as a precursor to scouting me in person. In an ideal world we would all be able to fly to Brazil and meet with Dr. T and see dozens of his patients in person, and then fly to Canada and meet with Dr. Rahal for the same visit. But in reality, few, if any members of this forum have that luxury. I realized that you and Pat do your best to get as many results posted as possible, but if Dr. T has done 200 surgeries per year for say 5 years, and only has 20 posted, that's like 2% and with ZERO patient blogs!

Look, all I'm saying is that nobody here should rely upon a highlight tape, and since we can't scout in person, we rely upon this forum to give us as much information as possible to make an informed decision. When there are ZERO patient blogs and an extremely small percentage of patient photos, it is difficult to accurately gauge whether one should visit a physician or not. I'm not knocking H&W, Rahal, Feller, etc. here, but if they only had 20 pictures and zero patient blogs, does anyone really think that they would be talked about so effusively by members, myself included?

And Bill, you've said before that it is unreasonable to expect physicians to post 100 or so pictures of their work, I disagree with that statement only because so many doctors on here do post regularly, and Dr. Tykocinski pots irregularly.

Dr. T has posted his work on this site and others. I realize compared to others, he does not have the amount of photos, but, sometimes word of mouth is good as well.

His work is as good as anyone's. That is straight from Dr. Shapiro.

Additionally, you would be hard pressed to find a more modern or technologically advanced hair transplant facility.

If you have narrowed your choices down to 2 doctors, you would certainly be in good hands with Dr. T.

I hope this helps!

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

And Bill, you've said before that it is unreasonable to expect physicians to post 100 or so pictures of their work, I disagree with that statement only because so many doctors on here do post regularly, and Dr. Tykocinski pots irregularly.

TC17,

Whereas I agree wholeheartedly that doctors can and should post more frequently, you are quoting me incorrectly. I simply said that it's not reasonable to expect physicians to post hundreds of examples of their work to be considered for potential recommendation, not that they can't do it over the years.

Imagine if we had the requirement for prospecitve physicians to post a hundred examples of their work prior to recommendation. Nobody would want to do it and this community wouldn't recommend anyone.

Physicians post regularly now because they realize it's to their benefit to show off their quality work. Dr. Tykocinski only just recently started showing examples of his work in the last several months. So has Dr. Pathomvanich. Both of them are excellent doctors IMHO.

However, it's ultimately up to each prospective patient to do their own research and select a physician they are most comfortable with based on the available information.

All the Best,

Bill

Bill,

- This is the post I was referencing where you said it was unreasonable to post 100 or so pictures of their work.

Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator

Follicular Grand Wizard

Picture of Bill - Associate Publisher

Posted April 17, 2009 12:18 PM Hide Post

Though I appreciate everyone's concern and desire to see as many photo examples of a prospective doctor's work as possible, it's simply not realistic to ask them to present hundreds of examples of their work.

------------------------------------------------

- I totally agree with you that asking a physician to post 100 or so pictures merely for recommendation is overkill, but that is excerpted from a post that was not talking about recommendation, but was instead about a post where I asked if it would be possible to compel each physician to post 100 pictures of their work. Clearly you do not disagree with me that physicians can and should post far more frequently, so there is no disagreement between us.

I would personally LOVE to take a vacation to Brazil and visit Dr. Tykocinski, and indeed I have called his office to get more information but was unable to do so because the woman who answered did not speak English, and although she was willing to speak Spanish with me, neither of us spoke that language well enough to gather any real useful information. I'm not knocking Dr. Tykocinski here, I'm just saying that for my selfish reasons I want to see more of his work so that I can include him on my list of potential physicians, and I again ask why we cannot compel those physicians who do not have an adequate presence on this forum to post more examples of their work? (and yes, I realize that "adequate" is ambiguous, so let's just say 75 and call it a day!)

Last, I personally appreciate all that you do on this site Bill, and I do not want this to come across as in anyway being disrespectful towards you. You're always there to answer our questions and help out, and I thank you for that. And yes, I realize that if I have this big of an issue with the lack of pictures from certain physicians that I can exercise my right to choose another physician, but I want to choose my physician based upon his results, and not because of ignorance brought about by limited information not under my control.

Aska,

Does Dr. T offer any travel discounts to out of town patients? How much do hotels cost around his clinic? Does he require shaving of the recipient area? Does he use blades or needles?

Originally posted by TC17:

Aska,

Does Dr. T offer any travel discounts to out of town patients? How much do hotels cost around his clinic? Does he require shaving of the recipient area? Does he use blades or needles?

International Travel information:

http://cabelo.med.br/english/?...entes_internacionais

He uses 0.6, 0.7mm blade.

You can choose if you want to shave or not. No extra charge is included.

I can't tell you how much the hotels cost but it will be not expensive, i assure you.

TC17,

Some physicians who have been a part of this community for years probably do have almost a hundred exampels of their work presented, thus it's clearly possible. Therefore, I can't see how I wasn't referring to posting prior to recommendation. If you have a link to the thread, I'd like to see the posts i was actually responding to. Either way, we clearly don't disagree.

All the Best,

Bill

Hello Everybody, I am in MI and looking for HT. Though I dont have a huge loss but diffused frontal (2) and very deep temples. I consulted DR. Tessler and he seemed nice and advised a minor procesure but I dont see many of his patients or feeedback here. Does any one have any idea about him ?

Thanks for everyones comments. I actually spoke to Dr Pathomvanich yesterday & was really impressed with his phone manner, knowledge & ability to put me at ease. Given the closer proximity to Australia (and the good feedback about him on this site) I'll probably go with DR P.

Heres hoping for a good result,

thanks

Good luck cautious. Do you mind elaborating on what it was that impressed you about your conversation and how he put you at ease? Also, what were Dr. P's prices?

Hi TC17,

He was just really personable on the phone, happy to answer any questions & his english was excellent. I actually rang to speak to one of his clinic staff but he just got on the phone & answered all my questions and more. He sounded very professional and discussed all my concerns really well.

• 2 years later...
I am 5 months out, so far my results are going good, i rebuild my hairline so it was dense packed i belive with 75 grafts cm/2 or more.

I do still have a MINOR shock loss on Donor, i think it i'll come back, my hair is just 1 inche long so...

Of course i recomend and would go again with him...

Tell me what NW are you??

Hi aska.

75 grafts/cm2 (=485 grafts/inch2) ??!! It is not impossible but few surgeons all over the word can get such result with actual success.

Over 2 years passed since your surgery, so, we would love to see your pics.

Best regards.