Can FUE scars stretch?

No that's not possible they actually get better with time, we are talking about a scar the size of a dot, most doctors are now using a 0.8mm punch, even if you shave it's hard to see any type of scars, they are there but should not be visible.

8 minutes ago, Abi28 said:

No that's not possible they actually get better with time, we are talking about a scar the size of a dot, most doctors are now using a 0.8mm punch, even if you shave it's hard to see any type of scars, they are there but should not be visible.

Interesting. Thanks for that.

im not sure i agree with your second statement however. I myself have fair skin and very dark coarse hair. My doctor had to use punches in the .9-.95mm range in an effort to try to avoid transecting/traumatizing my donor grafts as I had many multiples. As a result, I have more white dot scarring which is def more visible at shorter lengths. The best results in terms of scarring I’ve seen has been where patients don’t have a lot of hair/skin contrast and thin hairs where .8mm or even less diameter punches are used.

11 minutes ago, LonelyGraft said:

Interesting. Thanks for that.

im not sure i agree with your second statement however. I myself have fair skin and very dark coarse hair. My doctor had to use punches in the .9-.95mm range in an effort to try to avoid transecting/traumatizing my donor grafts as I had many multiples. As a result, I have more white dot scarring which is def more visible at shorter lengths. The best results in terms of scarring I’ve seen has been where patients don’t have a lot of hair/skin contrast and thin hairs where .8mm or even less diameter punches are used.

That's a good point, I think it varies from a person to another, some people are more prone to scarring but punch size matters a lot, a 0.9mm punch is double the size of a 0.8mm punch. I think at the end of the day it all comes down to the skill of the doctor too, my first hair transplant was a disaster the doc I went to used a 1.1mm punch, in the summer I went for a repair and I had to shave my whole head, I was expecting to see a lot of scars but there was none absolutely nothing so I guess I was lucky. There is an interesting case on the forum where a guy had to remove hundreds of grafts from his hairline and his skin healed well with no scars

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Abi28 said:

That's a good point, I think it varies from a person to another, some people are more prone to scarring but punch size matters a lot, a 0.9mm punch is double the size of a 0.8mm punch. I think at the end of the day it all comes down to the skill of the doctor too, my first hair transplant was a disaster the doc I went to used a 1.1mm punch, in the summer I went for a repair and I had to shave my whole head, I was expecting to see a lot of scars but there was none absolutely nothing so I guess I was lucky. There is an interesting case on the forum where a guy had to remove hundreds of grafts from his hairline and his skin healed well with no scars

Thanks abi. What exactly do you mean by a .9mm punch is double the size of a .8mm punch? When I calculate the area it doesn’t match. I must be missing something. 

also, do you have pics of your donor? Which punch system did the doctor use with the 1.1mm punch?

Edited by LonelyGraft