Density per CM square

For an indian in his mid 30’s with thick donor hair.  What type of density should you be looking for?  A local doc Said 35-45 per square Cm would be good.  Thought it was kind of low.

Edited by fuzz916

As far as I've read and from my experience in general doctors aim for 40-50 grafts per square CM. Doing more can have a negative effect on graft survival, although doctors will go higher with dense packing. I think it does pose a little more risk.

I gather that you are referring to transplanted density.

It is important to remember that the approach and planned density will be different for each and every patient depending on many factors. 

Densities are not uniform throughout the recipient. The hairline is generally the highest follicular units per squared centimetre. Often times reaching around 60cm2. This would then generally decline as your progress further backwards. When considering all areas of the recipient to formulate an average, 40 cm2 there or thereabouts, again differing from one patient to the next.

Hair characteristics have a huge influence on visual result. Patients with very similar loss patterns but with different hair characteristics will require a different amount of grafts/density to achieve a similar result in terms of illusion, coverage, density. 

It can not be a one size fits all approach!

• Like 1

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.