Flight home 2 days after surgery

Hello,

My surgery is booked for the 7th January and I will be flying back from Istanbul to the UK at 10:25am on the 9th January which is around a 4 hour flight I believe. The doctor has recommended 3000-3500 grafts

I have a couple of questions

1) Will I be ok to drive from the airport to my house when I get back (2 hours) or should I arrange to be picked up? The doctor said that it should be ok so i'm trusting him but I have seen in rare cases the swelling can close your eyes!

2) What were your experiences travelling back 2 days after the operation in regards to people staring at your bloodied heads, and if you got any curious looks from the passengers around you on the plane etc. I'd like to wear a cap but I'm worried about damaging the grafts so I think I'll just have to accept some stares and unease from my neighbours on the plane lol.

Thanks! I'll be sure to create a thread after the surgery

Edited by 147break

you do not have to worry about having to drive, nor to be noticed at the airport, especially in Istanbul because you will not be the only one to have a headband nor a hat, they are used to it because so many people come and go  or who have done the hair transplant.  If I can give you some advice, be careful in the airplane not to give some headboard to the hatbox and you are especially careful that no one in placing the luggage in the hatbox makes it fall by mistake on your head and if you can book a seat side window so as to be  as far as possible.  The hat you have to know how to wear it (just put it on) and remove, lift it first from the back and then from the front, not the other way around.  That said good luck for your transplant.

47 minutes ago, Giastro said:

you do not have to worry about having to drive, nor to be noticed at the airport, especially in Istanbul because you will not be the only one to have a headband nor a hat, they are used to it because so many people come and go  or who have done the hair transplant.  If I can give you some advice, be careful in the airplane not to give some headboard to the hatbox and you are especially careful that no one in placing the luggage in the hatbox makes it fall by mistake on your head and if you can book a seat side window so as to be  as far as possible.  The hat you have to know how to wear it (just put it on) and remove, lift it first from the back and then from the front, not the other way around.  That said good luck for your transplant.

Thanks mate, I have booked the window seat at the far back of the plane lol so I can take my time getting off. I will probably go without a hat

• Administrators

2 days is okay to travel, but remember you will need to be very careful because the first 3 days after the procedure are the most crucial. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.