once grafts are anchored, can you harm grafts without harming native hair?

Once the grafts are anchored.....hmmm.  It took me a few seconds to figure out what you meant....Got it! But, did I truly get it?  I am not too clear on what exactly you want to know....Here we go....

During the procedure the Doctor is working in and around the native hair. with magnification. Inadvertently he can cut the native hair, (like giving you a haircut), since the instrument he uses is very sharp. He makes the incisions and then the grafts go in.  Sometimes the process can shock the native hair.  This is typically temporary and, when it happens, the native hair returns along with the transplants. In very rare occasions the native hair does not return.  This is hair you would have lost eventually as part of the hair loss process.

The most critical time for grafts is the first three days.  For the sake of conservatism most doctors will suggest you start washing normally 7-14 days post op.  Generally there is a dormant period and hair then starts growing 3-4 months post op.  Not all the hair comes in at one time....but most, if not all, will mature in the ensuing 18 months.

Grafts typically are harvested from the donor area where there seems to be dominance. This is the strongest hair we all seem to have in common.  It is "native hair." but it is considered to be permanent unlike the hair in the front and top which is more susceptible to the effects of DHT. So, by definition, grafts will be stronger than native hair. 

Hopefully this answers your question?

Are you on medical therapy? (Propecia, Rogaine Laser)? What do you know about PRP?

thank you for your input! I’ll try to rephrase my question a bit. I’ve heard that grafts are “anchored” or secured around day 9. In other words, at day 9, the grafts are incapable of becoming dislodged. My question is, once the grafts have become “anchored”, is there any way to damage or harm the grafts in a way that would not harm your native hair (the hair that is not transplanted)? Stated differently, once the grafts are anchored, are the grafts still more vulnerable than native hair? thanks again

I will be interested in hearing the response.  I was also confused by your question.  I err on the side of caution, and well exceed the suggested path for healing.  You used 9 days as the point at which the grafts could not be dislodged.  Do you want to stake your success on that or does it really hurt anything to take it a step further in the healing process.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

appreciate the feedback. i think there is still some confusion. the “9-day period” I proposed is of no matter for the purposes of my question. let’s assume, for the sake of my question, that the grafts have been securely anchored into the scalp (whether that takes place at 9 days or 14 days is irrelevant). So assuming that they have anchored, can the area where the grafts have been transplanted be treated just like your regular hair? or, conversely, are there things that you cannot do to your recipient area that you can do with your regular hair, even after the grafts have “anchored”? any help would be appreciated. 

thanks, phil. so correct me if I’m wrong, but it sounds like once the grafts are anchored, in order to damage them, you would have to subject them to some sort of trauma that would damage your existing hair as well (like a burn). some of the things you mentioned, like the use of blood thinners, probably wouldn’t damage your grafts per se, right? But they could impede the growth of the new grafts. Similarly, from what I’ve read, sunburn on the recipient area doesn’t damage the grafts. Rather, the sunburn can cause discoloration to the recipient area. So if I’m correct in my deduction, once the grafts are anchored, are you in the clear? are the anchored grafts guaranteed to grow? (albeit maybe at a slower pace if you’re taking blood thinners or engaging on some other impediment). thanks for the contributions, everyone. 

sounds to me like the Cooley study you referenced pertains to pre-anchored grafts. For example, poor extraction technique or poor storage conditions would prevent the grafts from becoming anchored in the first place. Thus supporting our theory that once the grafts are anchored, they are just as strong as native hair. Does that sound right? Thanks again.