FUT Scar Revision - Dr. Steven Gabel

OtherSyde

On 3/23/2021 at 6:11 AM, hairlossPA said:

is it possible to get a picture of you with a comb holding up your hair by the scar to compare it to one of your original pictures where it shows it at its worst?

Just snapped this! The scar area is more white now and matches my scalp better, plus there are some hairs scattered throughout which helps with camouflage, and you can see on the right side of the scar where the hair isn't held up it gets significantly better coverage than before. Still, if/when I do another procedure (FUE this time!), I will probably toss a few hundred grafts at it just to rid myself of it once and for all - but overall it's much better now than it was and I'm glad I no longer have to cultivate a weird sort of "curtain" of longer hair above it in order to hide it! 

27MAR2021Scar.thumb.jpg.33157bc7d1c4de9108d25982a3cedfa1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Valued Contributor

@OtherSydeit takes at least 12-18 months for a scar to settle down. over the years ahead it will continue on improving in color and texture. That scar already looks night and day compared to the one prior to your scar revision. Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OtherSyde said:

Just snapped this! The scar area is more white now and matches my scalp better, plus there are some hairs scattered throughout which helps with camouflage, and you can see on the right side of the scar where the hair isn't held up it gets significantly better coverage than before. Still, if/when I do another procedure (FUE this time!), I will probably toss a few hundred grafts at it just to rid myself of it once and for all - but overall it's much better now than it was and I'm glad I no longer have to cultivate a weird sort of "curtain" of longer hair above it in order to hide it! 

27MAR2021Scar.thumb.jpg.33157bc7d1c4de9108d25982a3cedfa1.jpg

Looks really good

What guard can you get away with in the back now without the scar being visible?

Do you think you will have to go back again in the next couple of years due to the laxity being tight? (Did you do laxity exercises before the revision?)

52 minutes ago, kramer79 said:

Looks really good

What guard can you get away with in the back now without the scar being visible?

Do you think you will have to go back again in the next couple of years due to the laxity being tight? (Did you do laxity exercises before the revision?)

Thanks! I keep it either a 3 or 4 guard now. 3 is a little iffy, but I can pull it off and it's slowly getting better every month.

I did not know there was even a such thing as laxity exercises lol, maybe I should've been doing those! Feeling it right now with my hands as I lean my head forward, my scalp doesn't feel "tight" per se, or like is is stretching really. Scar stretching wasn't the reason I went back in the first place though -  it was because, in order to avoid stretching in the first place, Dr. Gabel did not remove the entire scar with each subsequent procedure, instead only removing maybe ~50% of the previous scar each time, so the laxity/tightness didn't really significantly change but the scar grew wider each time. Then, this time he just removed the scar tissue alone and did a nice trichophytic enclosure to complete it (which is why there is now thin hair scattered throughout what remains of the scar area.

I hope it gets a little more subtle, but I think it's just about almost at its pinnacle now; like I said, when I inevitably go back for another procedure sometime in the future I'll toss a few FUE grafts into it just to finalize it, but as of right now it's quite manageable with basically zero effort!

24 minutes ago, OtherSyde said:

Thanks! I keep it either a 3 or 4 guard now. 3 is a little iffy, but I can pull it off and it's slowly getting better every month.

I did not know there was even a such thing as laxity exercises lol, maybe I should've been doing those! Feeling it right now with my hands as I lean my head forward, my scalp doesn't feel "tight" per se, or like is is stretching really. Scar stretching wasn't the reason I went back in the first place though -  it was because, in order to avoid stretching in the first place, Dr. Gabel did not remove the entire scar with each subsequent procedure, instead only removing maybe ~50% of the previous scar each time, so the laxity/tightness didn't really significantly change but the scar grew wider each time. Then, this time he just removed the scar tissue alone and did a nice trichophytic enclosure to complete it (which is why there is now thin hair scattered throughout what remains of the scar area.

I hope it gets a little more subtle, but I think it's just about almost at its pinnacle now; like I said, when I inevitably go back for another procedure sometime in the future I'll toss a few FUE grafts into it just to finalize it, but as of right now it's quite manageable with basically zero effort!

If you are able to completely cover it with a 4 guard I think that a 3 guard will be doable as well as the scar has time to heal even more.

Ya I wonder if you had performed scalp laxity exercises to begin with if things would have been different. I guess Dr Gabel can comment on that.

Still, things turned out manageable which is great.