Has anyone here seen Miguel Canales?

New poster here, sorry if this is the wrong subforum.

I recently had a consultation with Dr. Miguel Canales of the Silicon Valley Hair Institute: 

It seems that he is well respected in the field, was very involved in the development of the ARTAS robot and has years of experience and pretty good online reviews. His staff was friendly and knowledgable, and the pricing seemed reasonable (2500 FUE grafts for $5 per graft for $12500 total potential surgery cost). 

On the other hand, I only got to speak with Dr. Canales himself briefly, and spent most of the time speaking with the head RN. The head RN also mentioned that the above FUE pricing was a special offer that they could guarantee if I decided to get the procedure end of this month (October) but that the price may go up if I decide to wait. This seemed *slightly* suspicious to me, but maybe I'm reading into it. 

So I'm wondering if anyone here has been to see him or gone through with having him perform a transplant and I wanted to hear about your experience? Would you recommend him? Did the results turn out like you'd hope? Is the "special offer pricing" a gimmick he uses to pressure people into making a decision or are price fluctuations a normal thing for HT doctors?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

• Administrators

I haven't heard of him, doesn't mean he isn't good, but you wanna choose a surgeon with a large patient-posted portfolio. I'm going to assume you're in Northern California, check out Dr. Diep, he was my personal surgeon and he has a large patient-posted portfolio on here.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 months later...

@hairdisaster21 I decided not to go through with Dr. Canales because I got the sense that his staff was trying to rush me into getting a procedure done which didn't set well with me, and on top of that there is very limited information regarding his results online. I wanted to explore other doctors who have a lot more results to thumb through.

Edited by Ikemen724

2 hours ago, Ikemen724 said:

@hairdisaster21 I decided not to go through with Dr. Canales because I got the sense that his staff was trying to rush me into getting a procedure done which didn't set well with me, and on top of that there is very limited information regarding his results online. I wanted to explore other doctors who have a lot more results to thumb through.

When you do look for a surgeon, also look at the reviews that are not recommended by yelp. To my understanding, a business can pay for yelp to review if the bad comments are “useful”.