Are non-surgical treatments effective for DUPA?

Seeing as a transplant isn't really an option for people with DUPA, I was wondering how effective the other remedies can be?

I.e. finasteride/dutasteride, minoxidil, dermarolling and so on.

Can these work? Or is DUPA usually too aggressive to combat effectively?

Thanks all.

11 hours ago, LaserCap said:

Understanding that with  DUPA the donor is not stable, surgery is not an option.  It should be treated with PRP and laser therapy.  

Take plenty of photos and get on the treatment.

Do you know if finasteride or similar meds are helpful with DUPA, @LaserCap?

12 hours ago, transplantedphil said:

Is that the general medical advice? Ive seen similar written on JT site, however there was a case here the other day where the patient had DUPA, didnt take fin and was blamed for the bad result. felt for the guy :(

I have wondered if SMP could be an alternative option for guys with DUPA as well?

Sure! SMP is a non-medical alternative.  Here the patient may decide to completely shave and SMP the entire head.  The look is that of someone who keeps their head at about a 1 guard.  The patient also has the alternative of keeping the native hair at whatever length he wants, but minimizing the contrast of the dark hair and the light scalp and just working the area(s) that bothers him the most.

1 hour ago, Greg_Swanson said:

Do you know if finasteride or similar meds are helpful with DUPA, @LaserCap?

Propecia, Rogaine, Laser therapy  are the three modalities we typically discuss to help patients retain their native hair.  During consultation ask the doctor his opinion and see what he says.