Should I keep using finasteride?

Hi everyone,

I've been on Finasteride for about 2-3 years.

In this time, I've had mixed results. As in, some areas got better, whilst others worsened slightly.  (I am on 0.5mg of fin, and 1.5mg of oral minox).

I have a classic NW 3 pattern, and since taking it the peaks have continued to recede, albeit quite slowly - but the entire front (I think it's referred to as the forelock?) has remained intact. 

My dermatologist has also noticed the overall volume/fullness of my hair to be better.

I've also heard that finasteride is not as effective for the front portion of ones hair - is this true? And if so, should I continue with it whilst having mixed results?

My thinking is, even if it isn't super effective on the front, maybe it will help keep the hair around the mid scalp and facilitate a transplant.

Welcoming any thoughts :)

Edited by Greg_Swanson

1 hour ago, Greg_Swanson said:

Hi everyone,

I've been on Finasteride for about 2-3 years.

In this time, I've had mixed results. As in, some areas got better, whilst others worsened slightly.  (I am on 0.5mg of fin, and 1.5mg of oral minox).

I have a classic NW 3 pattern, and since taking it the peaks have continued to recede, albeit quite slowly - but the entire front (I think it's referred to as the forelock?) has remained intact. 

My dermatologist has also noticed the overall volume/fullness of my hair to be better.

I've also heard that finasteride is not as effective for the front portion of ones hair - is this true? And if so, should I continue with it whilst having mixed results?

My thinking is, even if it isn't super effective on the front, maybe it will help keep the hair around the mid scalp and facilitate a transplant.

Welcoming any thoughts :)

I've been on Finasteride for about 2-3 years.  Good for you.

In this time, I've had mixed results. As in, some areas got better, whilst others worsened slightly.  The medication is intended to help you with retention.  Thus, if you look the same a year later, the medication did its job.  If you look better, it just means the miniaturized hair thickened.  Only a small percentage of patients experience this.  My suggestion is to continue the use of the medication and don't stop.  If areas look worse, it could be you are experiencing shedding of the native hair which is normal.

I've also heard that finasteride is not as effective for the front portion of ones hair - is this true? And if so, should I continue with it whilst having mixed results?  Based on what you've written, you should continue using the medication.  You've indicated the front has remained the same.  This means the medication is working.  The fact you are showing visual enhancement in other areas should be enough to encourage you to continue and not stopping.

The use of the medication is not going to facilitate a transplant.  What it will do is help you achieve a much fuller set of hair.  Keep in mind, no one with an advanced pattern has enough donor to allow for a full set of hair.  It is imperative you retain as much of the native stuff as you can.

Now, let me briefly get on your case about how much medication you're taking.....

The parent medication to finasteride is Proscar.  It is a 5 mg tab.  Once Merck completed their studies, they confirmed that 1 mg was all that was needed to experience hair retention. They also confirmed a less than 1% chance of experiencing a side effect.  By taking a 5 mg tab, you are multiplying the possibility of a side effect by 5 fold.  Why do that?  Talk to your doctor about taking 1 mg. 

9 minutes ago, LaserCap said:

I've been on Finasteride for about 2-3 years.  Good for you.

In this time, I've had mixed results. As in, some areas got better, whilst others worsened slightly.  The medication is intended to help you with retention.  Thus, if you look the same a year later, the medication did its job.  If you look better, it just means the miniaturized hair thickened.  Only a small percentage of patients experience this.  My suggestion is to continue the use of the medication and don't stop.  If areas look worse, it could be you are experiencing shedding of the native hair which is normal.

I've also heard that finasteride is not as effective for the front portion of ones hair - is this true? And if so, should I continue with it whilst having mixed results?  Based on what you've written, you should continue using the medication.  You've indicated the front has remained the same.  This means the medication is working.  The fact you are showing visual enhancement in other areas should be enough to encourage you to continue and not stopping.

The use of the medication is not going to facilitate a transplant.  What it will do is help you achieve a much fuller set of hair.  Keep in mind, no one with an advanced pattern has enough donor to allow for a full set of hair.  It is imperative you retain as much of the native stuff as you can.

Now, let me briefly get on your case about how much medication you're taking.....

The parent medication to finasteride is Proscar.  It is a 5 mg tab.  Once Merck completed their studies, they confirmed that 1 mg was all that was needed to experience hair retention. They also confirmed a less than 1% chance of experiencing a side effect.  By taking a 5 mg tab, you are multiplying the possibility of a side effect by 5 fold.  Why do that?  Talk to your doctor about taking 1 mg. 

Hi Laser, 

Thanks so much for the great response. 

That makes sense. I guess I just wasn't too sure if the fact that some areas had gotten a bit worse meant that it isn't working overall.

Apologies, I meant to write I'm actually on 0.5mg, so half the recommended dosage. Perhaps I should up it to 1.

Do you think someone who may be destined for an advanced pattern can retain enough hair indefinitely by using fin to have a transplant? My dad is about as advanced as one can get.

Edited by Greg_Swanson

If you are taking 1/2 of 1mg and it's working, I would keep doing the same thing. Monitor closely, (take photos), and adjust accordingly.  

Are we related?  We are dealing with exactly the same issue.  My grandfather was a class 10.  My son has been on Propecia since he was 18.  He is now 26 and enjoying a full set of hair. No transplants needed. I think they key is to get on the med as soon as you realize what's coming.  And, give the medication a year.  It truly does take a year to find out what exactly the medication will do.  You can experience retention right away but to notice enhancement, if there is going to be any, does take sometime.  Given your situation, I would wait.