Doc says wear only surgery Bennie after procedure, Say it aint so!

Going in on Dec 10,11 and 12th and Doc Keene says only Surgery Bennie can be worn for 1st couple of days. My question is how the heck do I get around the hotel get to meals and such with a freaking Bennie on my head? Come on there must be an alternative like a Harley rag or something? I cant afford three days of room service... HELP!

Originally posted by GLH Formula # 9:

Going in on Dec 10,11 and 12th and Doc Keene says only Surgery Bennie can be worn for 1st couple of days. My question is how the heck do I get around the hotel get to meals and such with a freaking Bennie on my head? Come on there must be an alternative like a Harley rag or something? I cant afford three days of room service... HELP!

People will laugh but I liked wearing the blue surgical hats. Nobody knew me in Canada so I did not care who saw me in one. Then when I got home I only went out to the store a few times the first month and I still wore one. People would only ask me if I was a doctor when I wore one. My doctor sent me home with 4 of them. I did not want to take any chances with a ball cap, doo rag or anything else. I'm very cautious to say the least. I figure we invest so much in these grafts so why take any risk at all? icon_smile.gif

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Originally posted by dakota3:

I hope this isnt so ! Most people have to return to work w/in a week after thier HT procedure and I bet that most of those people are wearing ball caps and not surgical beanies

Dakota you are absolutely right. I was lucky that I can work from home so I rarely wore anything on my head at all the first 2 months. Only the blue surgical caps the 3 times I went to the store in the first month. I'm sure I'm way overcautious so dont go by what I did. icon_smile.gif

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

GLH: you are way too self conscious. Just think that in 9 months you will have new hair. Actually I think surgery Bennie looks pretty good, some may confuse you for a doctor.

Dr. Cooley put saran wrap over my head, then put an oversize baseball cap over. However, following your doctor's instruction is more important.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

GLH if you dont want to go out in the blue surgical cap (I think you will change your mind) and you dont want to pay room service prices a third option would just be to load up on non perishable type foods and bring them to your hotel. icon_smile.gif

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

good point wantego!! GLH bring something or head to the store prior.

I forgot the night before surgery I went to the grocery store and got some Propel and some snacks to add to the dinner I knew would be provided. That way I didn't have to worry about being hydrated or being hungry (as I typically eat for two!)

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Each physician has their own set of postoperative instructions, and I always feel it's best to follow them.

In my case, I was able to wear a loosely fitting hat or bandana immediately after all 3 procedures. Personally, I liked the bandanna the best because as much as I am a hat man, a lose fitting "poofy" hat looked ridiculous on me. And wearing a snug fitting hat for the first 10 days is really out of the question.

GLH, I know it's an inconvenience, but remember the long term investment you are working to protect. And heck, if you are not in your hometown, make a fun game out of it and when people stare at you, make a funny face or something icon_smile.gif

Best wishes,

Bill

Latinlotus,

Did Dr. Cooley put saran wrap on your head on day two as well (after your followup visit and hair washing)? I'm flying back home the day after my procedure and want to be prepared if I get to have saran wrap head going through airport security! icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by latinlotus:

GLH: Actually I think surgery Bennie looks pretty good, some may confuse you for a doctor.

Hey if I can find some of those little booties that Docs wear to match I would be all set. Hhmmm I wonder if my hotel has a bar so I can go cruising for chicks? icon_smile.gif

I just did the reclusive thing for the first ten days or so. In the shape I was in I would not DREAM of going out anywhere anyway. I stocked up on groceries at home, etc., for the reclusive phase.

As for the motel, I just chose a place on the outskirts of the city (Louiseville) with a door on the OUTSIDE of the motel so that the dash inside with a bennie was trivial (especially in the dark). I had a little bit of food and so forth already stocked beforehand in the room for dinner, and drove back early the next AM to VA, thus spending most of day 2 on the road in the privacy of my car. I also had food/drinks etc. so that I would not have to go into places for the 10 hour drive, I could just fill up at the pump.

In retrospect, a bandanna would be best for car travel. I have worn a cap SO much in my life, yet, suddnely when it matters, that stupid hat brim hits EVERYTHING if you are not careful. Especially in cars. Especially if it's some awkwardly loose fitting rediculous looking cap, which you'll pretty much need.

Home was all stocked up with 10 days worth of food and so forth, and I just dropped out of the world for a bit.

It's difficult, but with careful planning it can be pulled off. I don't know about airports and extended stays at hotels, or anything like that. That adds another level of difficulty, but again the key I would say is in the planning.

Some people are all out and about town in the post-op days. Kudos to them. I prefer to hide.

Stimpson

My doctor supplied a headband to be worn for the first few days to reduce swelling. It worked wonders, I had no swelling from the band downwords; However, when taking it off to wash, the swelling would move down my face after 20 minutes - so it shows how well it does work.

Anyway, this band worked great for resting a cap on - I placed the cap rim around the headband which prevented the cap ever touching the grafts.

I was out the day after the operation, treating the rest of my visit as a holiday - shopping, sight-seeing, and going to bars (But not having alcohol for the first 3 days, lol); Not even 1 person ever noticed.

So maybe you can buy a headband and follow what I did. It helps 100% with the swelling and if you get bad swelling to the face, the surgery bennie will be the last thing you are bothered about.

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys, I am going to Sportmart to look for a headband and the Harley shop for some XXL Do rags. Any tips on the Tucson area? I am staying at the Sheraton Tucson Hotel for 3 days, it's only 2 miles away from Dr. Keene's office according to Google maps.

I wore a loose fitting baseball cap. I think Dr. Keene has probably seen too many people careless with the baseball cap that end up losing grafts. I was extremely careful not to let the rim touch any grafts.

I stayed at the Varsity Club and loved it. It is an all suite hotel, with a full kitchen. Really nice and great prices too.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Originally posted by GLH Formula # 9:

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys, I am going to Sportmart to look for a headband and the Harley shop for some XXL Do rags. Any tips on the Tucson area? I am staying at the Sheraton Tucson Hotel for 3 days, it's only 2 miles away from Dr. Keene's office according to Google maps.

There is 4th ave for nightlife, tombstone is about an hour drive, Mt Lemmon if you don't have mountains where you are at. Pima Air and Space Museum if you like that stuff. And a Titan Missile silo south of town. Mexico is 60 miles south, but its a border town that sucks.