Shedding/shock loss

Hi,

I am on the 4th day post-op. I am recovering pretty well and have no complaints. However, I keep reading about shedding and shock loss and it made me wonder if they are inevitable. 

Simply put, will I necessarily lose the grafted hair before it starts to grow back?

Thank you!

—R

You are not losing the grafted hair.

When you hear shock loss, let's address that issue first, we are referring to the fact that the doctor is working in and around the native hair when creating recipient sites.  This disturbs the native hair and sometimes"shock" happens. Other times it seems like shedding but its actually the doctor cutting the native stuff off inadvertently.  Realize that the instrument he is using is very sharp.  Typically, when this happens, the native hair returns in about 3-4 months, along with the transplanted hair.

Now shedding.  There are two types of loss. The hair that you seed and the one you don't.  The hair you see on the tub, shower, sink...that's normal.  Most believe 100 hair a day is normal.  The follicle gets tired of producing hair and it goes into a resting phase.  The hair will then return at a later time.  This will happen to all the hair in your head but not all at the same time.  So, when you "see" hair, don't worry. 

The hair you don't see refers to hair that miniaturizes, dissipates and disappears.  The caliber changes until it's gone.  That's hair loss.

Now let's address your question.  During a procedure the native hair is shaven, particularly in the area where the doctor plans to harvest grafts from.  A very short stubble is left so that the clinical staff can transport the graft.  Once inserted into the recipient site the doctor created, a crust will form.  (This is just dry blood).  As days go by, the stubble grows.  The staff will give you post op instructions and it will tell you when to start washing.  When you do, the crust along with the hair will fall off.  The graft now needs to reincorporate into the blood supply. This is why it takes 3-4 months before it starts growing again.  So, in reality, you never really lose anything, It is just part of the post op process.

Thank you much for your detailed response. My question, however, is this: is it possible that as I go through this process, the transplanted hair doesn’t fall off and just keeps growing?