Would love some advice: CROWN BALDING

I have been researching many topics about hair loss and since my balding is currently affecting my frontal area, I have not really paid much attention to information regarding crown baldness.

Two coalition docs have told me that I have some crown thinning and I can see a small bald spot when I snap a picture directly in harsh light. I have 3 questions Id like to ask:

1) Given that I am 25, does this early thinning mean that I will eventually lose all of my crown hair? How can one make an educated guess about how much crown hair I will lose?

2) On average, how many grafts does it take to treat crown baldness?

3) I am taking Propecia now and I'm considering Rogaine but I do not want my body to become resistant to Rogaine at a time when my thinning is minimal. Should I start Rogaine now or wait?

4.jpg.9e0caeafd51b3e0c9cbda63c210e22c4.jpg

Thanks for responding aska.

Your comment perfectly captures why I am having so much trouble deciding.

The only reason I am considering Rogaine is because 2 coalition docs told me there is thinning....and is also why I asked the other questions I did, to prepare for the future.

I don't see much thinning but that doesn't mean you aren't. Rogaine foam would be fine but Propecia (Finasteride) is generally a more effective treatment. I would give Fin a try.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

hey aaron1234,

Good advice with the fin, I am taking it now. icon_smile.gif

Since you don't see much thinning now, would you wait to try Rogaine or try now. My concern is that I dont want my body to get used to it too early when my crown balding is minimal.

Yeah Ronald. I'd just stay on fin for the time being. If you bald further, then you can add the Rogaine foam.... or consider a HT. I know alot of people think that Rogaine and Propecia have a synergistic effect. But if you are using the two treatments simultaneously, how do you know which one is doing the work? This is why I think starting out with one is better than both. Maybe adding one down the road after you see how you responded to the initial treatment.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Yeah, thats a really good point especially when it seems that fin has better long term efficacy than initially thought. I am a wierd case as well because I started to lose my hair at 17 but have not lost very much over the last 8 years (2200 grafts worth and have been on fin for 1 year). In general, the earlier you start, the more aggressive the MPB is....

This is such a tough choice for me......because money is not an issue (not because I have lots but because Im a good budgeter) and as you mentioned, there is synergy between the 2 since they act differently......

Just from that one pic, you have way too much hair on your crown to be even thinking about a transplant right now (IMO).

Even if you were a billionaire and money was no object I think you should stick with the meds for now. Just because you've lost some thickness doesn't necessarily mean you are goign to go slick bald. I've seen 70 year olds who have thinned in the crown but aren't bald.

For example, my temples receeded fast when I was 24, but it stopped and has remained mostly stable for the last 25 years. You could be the same with your crown.

EDIT: Again, all we have to judge from is that one pic.

Severn: I believe he is having a HT for his frontal region and stated that the coalition docs commented on his crown while having his consultation ... so he is not having his crown addressed at this time.

Ronald: Ive always read how the crown is the "Black Hole for grafts" in that it takes a lot of grafts to cover up the damn thing. Hopefully things wont proceed much further with meds for couple of decades.

SDM