Rogaine (Minoxidil shedding)

Hi Everyone,

I recently got back on the hairloss cocktail of Rogaine and Propecia. However, I've had some pretty insane shedding over the last few weeks. I know the conventional wisdom is to wait it out, the hair will regrow, I just need to play it cool and have faith in the hair gods... but has anyone experienced shedding like this? Cuz holy hell is this messing with my head.

5b32fb5a13645_Photo2018-04-0294227AM.thumb.jpg.d55ed649bce5c9315503c4442cf07758.jpg

5b32fb5a2afda_Photo2018-04-2683625AM.thumb.jpg.9963628a462ab2904c3a76c9ce566035.jpg

Don’t worry shedding is common and expected. As Spex mentioned ride it out!

HT#1 - Dr. Rahal (Jan 2012) - 4700 grafts

HT#2 - Dr. Rahal (Jan 2014) - 1800 grafts

HT#3 - Dr. Konior (Jan 2018) - 1200 grafts

• 2 weeks later...

Is there someone that can give me some advice?

I am a 23 female and have always had very fine hair. Because of the relentless teasing I decided to start minoxidil 5%. After a regular small shed for two weeks, I noticed increased hair growth by the end of month 3, and stupidly after this I quit minoxidil for a fortnight because of very minor side effects (water weight). My hair began to shed easily 150+ a day so i quickly went back into minoxidil. After two months my hair is still shedding, and in fact it has increased to over 250 hair each day, and my head is constantly itchy, particularly in the areas I apply it. I have lost over 40% of my hair and am now desperate for advice.

• 1 year later...

1st, are you  doing 5% once or twice a day?  While it's OK to use the men's Rogaine, (5%), most doctors will suggest women use it once per day.  

Rogaine does not regrow hair. Nothing does that.  It can help retain the native stuff and perhaps even enhance it.  Never heard of Rogaine causing water weight.

The constant itching may be something else all together and coincidental to you using Rogaine.  I would encourage you to visit with the dermatologist and have them biopsy the area.  This will tell you, conclusively what's going on.

Have you tried laser therapy? If your skin is irritated, Rogaine may be doing more harm than good when you consider alcohol content.  So, if you want to continue Rogaine, I would suggest you start applying it in a different area.  (The medication is systemic.  By applying it in a particular area, it will be working throughout the entire head.  Next day, change the area. Use a cap full, press it down with your palm and massage in.  No need to spread it elsewhere.  The only thing you're doing is wasting it.