2nd Hair Transplant - Is This Really 1800 Grafts?

hairlaw

Backstory - First Hair Transplant:

When I got my first transplant, I did no research and made a big mistake by going with the cheapest available - Dr. Alessandrini of Renovate Medical Center in Tijuana, Mexico. I was a NW3, and wanted 3,000 grafts. He charged me $3,000 and it seemed like a great deal. Long story short, he took advantage of my lack of knowledge. I got about 300-500 grafts around the front of the hairline in random order with no density (the technicians were 16-year old kids), and I've used Toppix to cover it because it looks ridiculous. I found out after Alessandrini was arrested by the FBI about a decade ago for medical fraud, and he changes his name and the name of his medical center every few years.

Most of the grafts were lost during the session before they could be implanted because the technicians hadn't really done HT's before. There was a lot of yelling, and "oh my god" in Spanish so there were probably about 2,500 taken but most fell on the floor or came out before i left the doctor's office. I was scared for my safety to raise concerns in Mexico as they wouldn't even let me keep my phone one due to concerns I might be with law enforcement.

Backstory - donor area and scar

Alessandrini doesn't do follow up care so he staples the scar which makes it huge. He also actually used donor area from the crown. As I have MPB, the transplanted hairs were naturally thinning and when my balding worsens, my scar will be exposed.

The good news is because Alessandrini didn't know what he was doing, my good donor area was untouched.

2nd Hair Transplant - Respected Doctor on this Website:

My 2nd hair transplant was with a very reputable NYC surgeon whose name I will not disclose yet, because if my concerns are unjustified, I don't want to levy any accusations. Basically, he said the original HT hairline was idiotic - it's not even unnatural - the grafts were just placed in random intervals and it was unnaturally low. Unfortunately, because he'd have to scar me to remove them, we needed to work with that hairline.

He was also hesitant to do too big of a session, because he estimated I only have about 3,800 grafts remaining and he was also afraid of shock loss due to the fact that despite being a NW4, the hair remaining in that region and the crown is very thick. I would have preferred a 3,000 graft session but this doctor was opposed to it.

He was in favor of a 1,500 session maximum, and commented that we could do 3,000 and he'll make more money but that's not what's best for me. That went a long way with me. Another surgeon wanted to do a fixed $12,500 session and commented we'd do around 2000-2200 grafts but refused to give a graft #. He proposed doing a session to around the NW4 by the ear lobe which appealed to me but he didn't have the same reputation. (It was hard to find any info about him).

So I scheduled the session the same day as the consultation for a week later as it was the only available session for a few months. I paid for 1,500 grafts upon arrival and really wanted to hit the gap between my hairline and the rest of my hair as the island bothers me the most. The doctor was gung ho on fixing the hairline but ensured me we'd hit that island.

Early on in the session, the doctor said there was good news - they could harvest 1,800 from the strip that was taken and I happily agreed. During the session, it felt like they were only doing my temples and not the middle or the gap and sure enough from looking afterwards, i don't see how this is 1,800 and feel like maybe I have been lied to.

I've attached pics and am hoping I could get this forum's insight into whether this is 1,800.

Also, the doctor never really came in during the procedure (which is what happened to me in Mexico) and only the technicians were doing most of it. They kept on rotating technicians, which troubled me as I feel like they kept doing the same spots over and over again. But everyone said the result looks very good - I'm not sure so am relying on you guys for judgment. Thank you!

So my questions are 2-fold

1.) Does this look like 1,800 grafts?

2.) Does this look like good work? My sense is that there is not much density at all behind the hairline and for such a limited area, there should be more.

IMG_0644.jpg.bfaf181220150e5d94a65bc6c053bd69.jpg

5b32fad40ad59_IMG_0637(1).jpg.f782dfe749602a84f0897149d5129e4d.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg.7080e3350eac8e49eed6dff13009051d.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg.80c3c7d5d9551776d1a9266d6207d587.jpg

I may be paranoid because of my first experience so I'm hesitant to call out the doctor. I also think the new hairline looks good. I'm just upset because I shelled out about 10k for FUT and know so much was untouched and that best case scenario, I'm going to have an island. I also don't know why they kept on rotating technicians in and out.

1.) Is this really 1,800?

2.) Is it normal for the surgeon to leave after the scar, and basically let the technicians control everything all day

3.) Is it normal for the technicians to change every hour? My concern is some spots were hit over and over, and others were not for a potentially uneven result.

Hairlaw,

1800 grafts may sound like a lot but the truth is, 1800 grafts won’t cover too much of the bowling scalp, especially if you want any degree of density. However, your hair transplant is only covering what appears to be the frontal third so I would agree that everything looks just fine and appears to be 1800 grafts.

Also, it is very normal for technicians to do the majority if not all of the placement. Although it is true that the surgeon truly comes in once in a while to check on the patients and evaluate the final result of the procedure.

Best wishes,

Bill

I wanted to do 2,800 or so to get to the ear range, which I think would've covered everything (my crown isn't as bad as my frontal hair) but this clinic which is known as being conservative refused to do that area, because patches are still very thick and they were concerned there'd be shock loss to the general area.

Was just confirming it was 1,800. Again, if I told you about my Tijuana experience you'd flip out.

Thanks though, both of you!!! I know 1,800 isn't that much but I guess because my balding area is confined to the area in front of the ear, I was hoping for more coverage. I was also concerned because originally I was scheduled for 1,500 but they were able to yield 1,800 sand part of me feels I'd have the same result if I didn't check the maximize graft box. I don't care about the extra cost if it got me more grafts, but if not, that's an extra few grand.

Bill,

If you don't mind my asking, how much have you spent on HT's? Your hair looks beautiful, and you were originally very, very bald. Just curious what I should plan l/t if I want your outcome and have your genetics.

Thanks!