Do I have enough density to grow my hair out?

Everytime I do try to grow it out, after 1month it looks so sparse and the hairs stick up making me look like a chia pet with diffuse thinning so I end up buzzing again with a 1 guard or 0 guard at times. My friends tell me if I let it grow out for 3 to 6 months it won’t stick straight up and I can comb it back and layer for thickening effect. I know my crown is too thin, but what do you guys think of my hairline/mid scalp? Thick enough to grow out? It’s hard to commit with my job, but if I know it’s worth it I’ll suck it up.

The pic with the shower curtain in the back is a side shot (not sure why it tilted). But you can see how sparse it looks from that shot. Pictures contain different lengths of my hair, they’re either a #1 or #2 clipper guard.

DC79757A-63F5-4B3E-B453-7139DACA461A.jpg.900ed18ed3da0c18df77de5d643e3bbf.jpg

831BB901-9127-4BCB-A0E5-88519C28F59A.thumb.jpg.503efa1d69f399da233cb31db7b6bf72.jpg

5C0C5879-C8C2-447F-81FE-A22A23179966.thumb.jpg.078856c0424c9547b3f597d6cdf959a0.jpg

92483E94-45E6-427D-B23B-4D215F94450A.thumb.jpg.6e2e3b350d430ae1273da0974c9cfe93.jpg

Hmmm. To be honest, I think it's hard to say for sure without just going for it and giving it a shot. Once it's long enough you could experiment with fibers and different styles to give the illusion of more density, but you'll have to endure those in between stages to get there.

If the idea of having a satisfying outcome helps you commit to going for it, then look at it as at the very least you'll have an answer in a few months time, which may relieve some anxiety no matter what that outcome is.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Hmmm. To be honest, I think it's hard to say for sure without just going for it and giving it a shot. Once it's long enough you could experiment with fibers and different styles to give the illusion of more density, but you'll have to endure those in between stages to get there.

If the idea of having a satisfying outcome helps you commit to going for it, then look at it as at the very least you'll have an answer in a few months time, which may relieve some anxiety no matter what that outcome is.

That is true, my problem is on the 1 month mark it looks so bad where I can’t focus at work (no hats and working with many females). Not only do I worry about the sparse spiky looking top, I worry about the scar on the back of my head. This is why I can’t get through a month without buzzing it off again. I’ll probably wait until I can take some vacation time and try to grow it out then.

I just wish there were hair transplant guys that can show their hair short and long (I’m sure it’ll be hard for them to do and it’s asking a lot). But all I see are before and after pics of them, so hard to gauge where I stand.