How to straighten and soften transplanted hair?

I've received a few transplants in the last 5 years and while it's done a relatively good job filling in the balding areas, to my eye there is no mistaking that the transplanted hair on top looks different than the hair on the sides.

Currently I'm cutting my own hair with clippers: #2 on sides and back, #3 on top. I got SMP tattooing from Matt Iulo at Scalp Micro and it's done a great job allowing me to keep my hair short.

But, still - the transplanted hair on top is unmistakably coarse, twisty and wiry. I'm trying to figure out how to soften the appearance. I've thought of dying my hair silver like some hipsters do nowadays :) But I think my hair would have to be longer for that. Same with straightening it - a hairdresser told me it would have to be at least 2" and that's not an option.

I'm wondering if anyone here has succeeded in using softeners or conditioners or any other kind of procedure to help things look more natural. Thanks.

Jan 2000 - 600 FUT with Dr Kurgis (MHR)

Sept 2011 - 1411 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Jan 2013 - 1800 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Sep 2014 - 1000 FUE with Dr Paul Shapiro

My Hairloss Blog »

Well, it's been a couple years and they still seem like they go unnaturally in different directions.

My Hairloss Blog »

Multiplier,

Transplanted hair typically softens and straightens within the first year of surgery when it matures. It could take up to 18 months, but typically not beyond that. It concerns me that you are saying that some of your transplanted hair is still overly thick or wirey up to five years later. The only thing I can think of, is that the transplanted hair was taken from an area of the scalp or body that contain thicker or coarser hair than the rest. For instance, is your donor hair thicker than your recipient hair by nature? If that’s true, then there really isn’t any way to reduce its thickness. That said, cutting your hair at various lengths and experimenting with conditioners might make your hair appear softer and look the same.

Best wishes,

Bill

Regarding the straightening part of your question, while that wouldn't be a risk to your hair in terms of the hairs being transplanted, it's just not something you would wanna make a habit of on a daily basis in terms of the longterm health of your hair. I would look into some different conditioning products and seeing if there's a more gentle way to help tame them.

I'm also curious as to whether or not this is as noticeable as you think. I'm not sure how current the pictures on your profile are, but based on what I saw there, nothing stood out to me as alarming in terms of the varying textures of your hair. If you have some new pictures highlighting exactly what you're concerned about those might be helpful.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

just wondering how come you had so may so many procedures with such small fut sessions? I understand the 1800 grafts procedure but the rest of them seem kina low. From my understanding you loose grafts from getting cut open.

Sorry for the delay, I've been out of town.

Here are a couple photos. My donor density was never great and keeping my hair short was always the idea. Another note is that I quit finasteride due to side effects in 2015 so I have continued to lose in the crown. A couple months ago I did start topical finasteride though and have continued with Rogaine.

I guess my main issue is that the hair on top sometimes goes bird's nest-y when I try to comb it. And it sticks straight up (but at differing angles) and is coarse whereas the hair around sides and back is very very fine and straight and flat. Just trying to soften the effect in the front, if possible. I'm currently cutting my own hair with clippers: #2 in back and sides, #3 on top.

IMG_5537.thumb.jpg.6d734939041abe974e3370e9dcbd6801.jpg

IMG_5539.thumb.jpg.9acacaa6d1546dd3f5d4fc3cf7dc1821.jpg

IMG_5540.thumb.jpg.dc8d18afa27e228ef74da16951f27967.jpg

IMG_5541.thumb.jpg.fcc3250690632a86860dee049cf2026a.jpg

Edited by multiplier

My Hairloss Blog »

just wondering how come you had so may so many procedures with such small fut sessions? I understand the 1800 grafts procedure but the rest of them seem kina low. From my understanding you loose grafts from getting cut open.

That first MHR surgery I got created a much larger scar than was necessary for that amount and done by an inferior doctor/company. So once that damage was done, it was harder for subsequent doctors to do larger sessions all at once, as it was explained to me by Dr Shapiro.

My Hairloss Blog »