When does shock loss return??

I had very bad shock loss with my recent hair transplant, and I'm 3 days shy of being 3 months post op. While I'm noticing an increase in hair count, my hair is still noticeably thinner than it was prior to my surgery. I've read a lot of posts where people have regained their shocked hair in 2 months. When is the normal time frame for shock loss to return? I'm referring to non-miniaturized, previously transplanted hairs that fell. Does shocked hair go into the same dormant phase as hair transplant follicles do?

I had very bad shock loss with my recent hair transplant, and I'm 3 days shy of being 3 months post op. While I'm noticing an increase in hair count, my hair is still noticeably thinner than it was prior to my surgery. I've read a lot of posts where people have regained their shocked hair in 2 months. When is the normal time frame for shock loss to return? I'm referring to non-miniaturized, previously transplanted hairs that fell. Does shocked hair go into the same dormant phase as hair transplant follicles do?

I had both donor and recipient shockloss. The donor was due to the self absorbable chromic gut sutures that were used. It was not the doctor's first choice but my schedule was not flexible at the time and I had nobody to take out the sutures. That said chromic gut can, again can, cause tissue irritation. This happened to me. It is documented in my web log for your viewing pleasure. The hair returned by month 4-6.

The tissue irritation also did not do wonders for my scar. Before getting started last week on my second large session, Dr. Wong felt obliged to remove the unsightly scar that only he could see! I told him I was in his gifted hands so do whatever makes you feel and makes me look better.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Wong

715 grafts at Bosley, 2004

3238 grafts by Dr.True, Mar 2008

3393 grafts by Dr. Wong, Jul 2009

The shock loss was in the recipient area. Thanks spex... I'm assuming that if hair does go into shock, that it should go through the typical 3-4 month dormant phase.. though what confuses me is people talking about their shock loss coming back at 2 months post op. Hence, I don't know if I should be worried, or if I should be happy to see slight improvement a couple of days shy of being 3 months post op.

Back when I only had 400 mini grafts done 14 years ago, I had shock loss in the recipient area but no loss from the donor area. It took right at about 5 months but that was about the time I started taking finisteride. I was an excellent responder and it started bringing back my shocked hair quickly along with all the hair I had lost from years before. But it was all in the crown area.

• 3 years later...
The shock loss was in the recipient area. Thanks spex... I'm assuming that if hair does go into shock, that it should go through the typical 3-4 month dormant phase.. though what confuses me is people talking about their shock loss coming back at 2 months post op. Hence, I don't know if I should be worried, or if I should be happy to see slight improvement a couple of days shy of being 3 months post op.

Scorpion,

Did your shock loss recover. I've had horrible shock loss am at 3.5 months. Really freaking out. Would love to know how you made out.

Does shocked hair go into the same dormant phase as hair transplant follicles do?

Pretty much as per previous posters- the hair lost due to shock loss will start to return around month 3 to 4, and will continue over the next 8-10 months in a gradual fashion, in the same manner as the transplanted follicles. As was noted above, some of the finer pre-existing hair may not recover from shock loss. Understanding this observation allows your surgeon to vary the appropriate graft placement density depending upon whether he or she thinks the pre-existing recipient hair will survive or not. Good question.

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

Scorpion,

Did your shock loss recover. I've had horrible shock loss am at 3.5 months. Really freaking out. Would love to know how you made out.

jetfan,

I suggest you start your own thread regarding your situation as i see you are posting on every shock loss thread on the forum! And other forums!

You will get a better response from the members hopefully.

Have you any pics? where is the shock loss?

Do not freak out pal, shock loss is common and usually grows back within 3-6 months from what i have heard.

Like i say start your own thread and go from there:cool:

Not really cool and what do you care? My whole goal is to talk to people who had shock years back to see how they made out personally. I'm not on here bc I'm bored and have no friends and enjoy chatting about hairloss. I've had several people respond and its been wonderful to talk with them about my personal situation since they have been through it. I would do the same years from now if someone was going through this.

Posting my "thread" just attracts HT surgeons and salesman promoting their own services. Reaching out to folks who were in same situation as me and discussing is exactly what this site is for and I'm grateful.

So if you have a problem with me reaching out to people here I don't care. Mind your own business and glance 1 centimeter down the page. Don't tell me who to reach out to on a public forum.

Again I wanted to talk with folks who had same situation in the past. Those folks aren't going to log in 4 years after to read about other peoples shock loss. That's exactly why I reached out to several older posts to people who have been through same experience.

Starting my own thread attracts ht surgeons, ht sales people and know it alls who do nothing but troll blogs.

Get it? Mind your own business.

Was only trying to help, as i have an up and coming procedure and shock loss is something i am concerned about due to having grafts placed between native hairs, guess i misunderstood.

Yes i do get it. :rolleyes:

Well that's fine. What does your concern about your procedure have to with who I post to about what?

Here's my advice from someone who screwed up:

1-go to world class surgeon

2-dont let cost or travel influence decision

3-shave recipient

4-understand if you do strip you'll never be able to shave your head again no turning back

5-be on propecia

Wish you the best