FUT Procedure Questions

JT65

Hello,

I am new to this forum, I have been considering FUT for the past 3 years. I would greatly appreciate any feedback. I am 52 years old NW 3 with receding in crown area with dark course hair. I consulted with two HT surgeons and recommendation from both was FUT 900-1100 grafts to reinforce the front hairline and crown area. I originally thought I would get ARTAS FUE but it was not recommended.

To be honest I am a little nervous and would like to know what to expect after the procedure. I am also worried about returning to work in an office setting where I can't where a hat. I am taking 3-4 weeks off from work, will this be enough time to heal where it is not noticeable when I return. Also, will I lose much of my existing hair due to shedding.

I have tried Propecia but experienced side effects that required I stop therapy.

Thanks again for any feedback

If you only need 900-1100 grafts then I can see no reason why you wouldn't be suitable for FUE, in fact given that the graft number you need, it would almost be the default option imo. Im not trashing FUT, it's a great option if you need a lot of grafts at lower cost, but at that number the cost difference should be relatively small, and you have to put up with all the drawbacks associated with FUT like linear scarring and longer and more challenging recovery.

Normally, the reason for NOT going FUE these days is the need to get a high graft number. It's possible the only reason you have been recommended FUT is that both surgeons in question simply aren't skilled FUE surgeons. Did they state a reason for FUT over FUE? If they wouldn't do an FUE on you, then who would they do FUE on?!?

I would seek a third opinion from a surgeon who is definitely an FUE surgeon.

I'm completely stumped to be honest, so I should probably say no more. But then that's not my style......

1000 grafts FUE = 1000 grafts FUT (assuming identical hair count per graft). There would be no difference in coverage.

Did they indicate you have some wacky follicular groupings going on that would make it difficult to harvest via FUE?

some of the best FUE surgeons who initially tried ARTAS discontinued it after discovering it was not the best harvesting method, and their manual extraction techniques yielded better results ... I would steer away from anyone using ARTAS at least for FUE

Hi JT65. At four weeks

1. You'll shed most of the transplanted hair.

2. You'll also have shock loss but no one would know if its minimal or not.

3. The skin for both donor/recipient for FUT will still be reddish and definitely noticeable. They'll look like you stayed out in the sun too long.

1 and 2 are ok; people won't notice. Sunburn looking skin surrounded by normal skin - easily noticeable.

Having coarse hair will work in your favour. It's much better than fine hair for scalp coverage.

It would help to see photos, but experience tells me that you will need more than 900-1100 grafts, especially if treating your crown as well as your hairline. Procedures as small as that are normally for very minor frontal loss and a man with a NW3 pattern would normally need at least 2000 grafts for the front alone.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

JT,

I think we'd all honestly love to see some photos so we can give you better advice. And whether or not you go for FUT/strip or FUE is not something we can determine for you. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. But at your age, it seems like your hair loss probably has stabilized, so you probably won't have to worry about much future male pattern baldness.

Discuss this with a recommended hair restoration physician and see what they say.

Best wishes,

Bill

WOW - if I had your hair, I wouldn't do a thing!

if you're looking to address the temple recession, which looks completely natural and age appropriate by the way, I'd go with an FUE procedure if I were in your shoes.. I would not go overboard and try to recreate a hairline that is too unrealistic or too low... matching density to your native hair will probably be the most challenging issue in your case otherwise the result will appear unnatural .. selecting a top notch surgeon is your key decision-

Edited by home1212

Thanks Home1212, appreciate the feedback!

I agree I don't want to lower my current hairline as I want it to be natural and age appropriate. I am looking to reinforce the current hairline and temple area's. Both surgeons I consulted with recommend 1000-1100 grafts. I have noticed more thinning the last few years and my thoughts were to do the procedure now before future thinning so it would be less noticeable. FUT has been recommended due to better donor density and coverage.

With the amount of native hair that I have what can I expect 2 weeks and 4 weeks post procedure. Is shock loss something I should be worried about. Trying to figure out how soon to go back to work. I really don't want it to be noticeable. I ask about the 2 week time frame because I will be on vacation in a very warm climate and 3-4 weeks is when I would return to work.

Thanks again

Regards,

JT65

JT65 - you may have some miniaturization of some hairs in the hairline which may not come back if they're shaved during the procedure. I've seen most surgeons go a bit beyond the existing hairline in order to address miniaturized hairs. Whether you go FUE or FUT, you will most likely have your recipient area shaved. With FUE, your donor will need to be shaved as well. So in 2 weeks, I can tell you that it will be very noticeable that you've at least shaved your hair down. With FUT, surgeons will normally conceal the scar within existing hair on the back of your head. And here too, there is the possibility of shock loss of hairs around the scar due to trauma. No one can tell you definitively if that will occur to you or how quickly you can expect to recover from that. In 2 to 4 weeks you may also have some lingering redness in the recipient area from the surgery. At this point, all your grafts will have fallen out, but it may be evident that you've had something done in that area. As a pre-emptive move, some people get their hair cut very short or even buzzed beforehand, so people don't see such a big difference after your procedure. I would take a look at some other posts on here where people have posted progress photos at 2 or 4 weeks and see for yourself what you can expect. My main point is, it won't be totally un-noticeable that you've had something done. A hair transplant is surgery, and depending on may factors, including how fast you heal, it may or may not be so noticeable.

Also, you mentioned you'll be in a warm climate after your surgery. Be aware that you can't get any extended periods of sun on your grafted area for at least the first few months. You'll need to wear hats, etc. to protect the grafts and not get them exposed to sun.

This is entirely a personal opinion, but I would definitely opt for FUE for such a small procedure. The main disadvantage for someone with your concerns about post-op appearance would be that at least some shaving of your donor area would be needed. An FUT strip can be taken without donor shaving, making it easier to cover.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com