Can't Decide and Need Your Help!!!

I have been contemplating getting a HT for about 10 years now. In that time, my hair loss has of course progressed. I am about a NW 3 or 4 these days and using minoxidil only. Propecia did not work for me. I am about to make an appointment with Dr. Ivan Cohen in CT to discuss. However, looking ahead, I have several reservations that have been keeping me back from getting it done all these years. I hope that one or more of you could shed some light on these concerns and let me know how you handled them or if these should not be concerns at all based on your experiences.

1. Concerned that once having the procedure done; I am committed to getting more done in the future as hair loss progresses. I would not have a choice in the matter. Thus, my mind would still always be on my hair loss.

2. I want to keep my hair very short even with a HT. How short can I keep it? I am afraid that I would be committed to a longer hairstyle if I have the HT done.

3. Biggest concern: I hate the comments and looks I get when it comes to my hair loss. However, I am afraid of the comments and looks I will get from people who know me with thinning hair when they see my thicker hair after the HT. How do you deal with this situation? For some reason, I kind of feel like I would feel awkward going in public, even if it looked great, because of the stares I would get from the people who suspect I had a HT done. Are you better off admitting it? What are people's reactions, comments, etc.

Thanks in advance

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I have been contemplating getting a HT for about 10 years now. In that time, my hair loss has of course progressed. I am about a NW 3 or 4 these days and using minoxidil only. Propecia did not work for me. I am about to make an appointment with Dr. Ivan Cohen in CT to discuss. However, looking ahead, I have several reservations that have been keeping me back from getting it done all these years. I hope that one or more of you could shed some light on these concerns and let me know how you handled them or if these should not be concerns at all based on your experiences.

1. Concerned that once having the procedure done; I am committed to getting more done in the future as hair loss progresses. I would not have a choice in the matter. Thus, my mind would still always be on my hair loss.

2. I want to keep my hair very short even with a HT. How short can I keep it? I am afraid that I would be committed to a longer hairstyle if I have the HT done.

3. Biggest concern: I hate the comments and looks I get when it comes to my hair loss. However, I am afraid of the comments and looks I will get from people who know me with thinning hair when they see my thicker hair after the HT. How do you deal with this situation? For some reason, I kind of feel like I would feel awkward going in public, even if it looked great, because of the stares I would get from the people who suspect I had a HT done. Are you better off admitting it? What are people's reactions, comments, etc.

Thanks in advance

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

there is a chance that the scars can strech

ALL scars widen, but DO fade with time.

Theres a difference.

"2. I want to keep my hair very short even with a HT. How short can I keep it? I am afraid that I would be committed to a longer hairstyle if I have the HT done."

I think 1/2 inch cut is sufficient to hide the scar, but some persons go lower. You'll have to search to see how low some people go.

"3. Biggest concern: I hate the comments and looks I get when it comes to my hair loss. However, I am afraid of the comments and looks I will get from people who know me with thinning hair when they see my thicker hair after the HT. How do you deal with this situation?"

Just don't tell them anything. It's highly probable they won't notice, and if they do, they won't have the guts to ask you, and if they do ask you, tell them your taking MSM.

take care...

Can't decide:

Your three concerns are quite understandable, and most of us here had to deal with it some way or another. However i suspect your biggest concern is hair loss, otherwise you would not be here or contemplating HT for the past 10 years.

1-Since i am a NW3 I may need a second HT. But that may be in 10 or 20 years. I will deal with that then. However, if the growth is good, i will forget about HT for a while, just like most posters, who move on from this site after their HT.

2-I just had a recent HT and had to deal with some minor shock loss at the donor region, yet my hair covers the scar well with 2 cm length. I am pretty sure that once the scar fades and the hair are growing through the scar, i can cut the hair as short as i want.

3-Unless you got a bad HT, all comments about your hair will be positive, so don't worry about this.

Overall, personally i think those concerns are very minor when compared with my number 1 concern, which is how to cover my bald spots.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Concerned that once having the procedure done; I am committed to getting more done in the future as hair loss progresses. I would not have a choice in the matter.

HT docs are aware of this. You could have a no committment consultation and discuss this concern with them. Express your concerns esp since propecia has proved not to work for you. They could indicate what could be done now and what donor hair would be left in reserve. You could always leave the crown and the temples and just focus on the frontal core and the top of the scalp. This could make a big difference. Good luck whatever you decide.