Why don't surgeons use tissue expanders or endotines for strip surgery?

Some do in certain special cases, but it isn't usually necessary, and I've never seen a responsible surgeon do it if the donor is deemed depleted.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

I believe it was more prevalent in Europe than North America but rarely is it used anymore unless it is a special case situation as Speegs stated.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 3 weeks later...

I'm one of those special cases. Tissue expansion was suggested to me when I was a teenager in the 90s (very limited technology back then), but the necessary time off didn't sound desirable for an active teen. I had a phone consultation with a surgeon up in Ohio over a decade ago, & even then, it sounded like tissue expansion was possible, but not really necessary. He would've done an FUE then. I couldn't afford it at the time & I was too busy finishing grad school, so I opted to wait until later once the technology was better. Now even with a special case like mine, it doesn't seem necessary at all. I'm glad I didn't have to hole myself up in the house for months!

2000 FUT with Dr Bernardino Arocha - August 2017

CG,

Was that surgeon in Ohio by chance Dr. Brad Wolf?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 months later...

Yes, it was Dr. Wolf! He seemed very nice. I was living in Chicago at the time, so him & Shapiro seemed like the best options to drive to at the time. Is Wolf still active? I hadn't seen him mentioned on here except for posts from years back. I would've gone thru with an FUE if I had had the chance, but the procedure just got put on the backburner.

CG,

Was that surgeon in Ohio by chance Dr. Brad Wolf?

2000 FUT with Dr Bernardino Arocha - August 2017