Cleansing the Transplanted Area after Hair Transplant ?

Hi Guys,

I am just 2 days post my Hair Transplant. My Doctor has asked me to gently clean the Transplanted area by putting some Saline Water over it, use a medical cleanser and gently dab it. I am a little too scared of doing it thinking I might just pull up some hair grafts in the process. I have thought of holding on this process for some days, not do it and start it after some more days. My question is, this process is for Hygiene for cleanliness right ? can it have any impact on the end result. If I don't do this cleaning process or delay it with some days will my hair graft not grow ? From what I understand the Hair Graft needs blood supply to survive which happens from whithin from inside the scalp irrespective of one cleans the Transplanted area or not ? Am I correct ?

I remember being terrified of touching my head right after my transplant. If memory serves i (really gently) dabbed shampoo (ithink i was supplied some medicated stuff by the surgeon) on the transplanted area and rinsed with a cup of slightly warm water. I literally just lightly touched the shampoo on, then rinsed gently, without touching.

It does have to be cleaned unfortunately. You dont want to get any infections in that area..

I remember being terrified of touching my head right after my transplant. If memory serves i (really gently) dabbed shampoo (ithink i was supplied some medicated stuff by the surgeon) on the transplanted area and rinsed with a cup of slightly warm water. I literally just lightly touched the shampoo on, then rinsed gently, without touching.

It does have to be cleaned unfortunately. You dont want to get any infections in that area..

So the cleaning is mostly to keep it free from developing any sort of infection ? It does not have any effect on how and if the Transplanted Hair will grow or not ? Right ?

well yes, but if you get an infection that could have a negative effect on you hair growth.

In my honest opinion, if your doctor has told you to clean the transplanted area then you should clean it. I would think You'd be unwise not to follow his/her advice.

I understand you are petrified of touching the grafted area. But it's ok to follow your doctor's instructions - in fact, it's very important. blotting the area a couple days after is fine. 4 or 5 days after you can start gently massaging them in a circular motion with your finger tips in the shower with shampoo to help work off the scabs. Some doctors however, have different instructions so if what I'm saying contradicts what your doctor is saying, follow your doctor's instructions.

Best wishes,

Bill

I understand you are petrified of touching the grafted area. But it's ok to follow your doctor's instructions - in fact, it's very important. blotting the area a couple days after is fine. 4 or 5 days after you can start gently massaging them in a circular motion with your finger tips in the shower with shampoo to help work off the scabs. Some doctors however, have different instructions so if what I'm saying contradicts what your doctor is saying, follow your doctor's instructions.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks Bill for your comment !

So yes now I am almost 4-5 days passed my Hair Transplant so now I am thinking to start cleaning the transplanted area. My only question these 4-5 days that I did not clean my transplanted area that would have not hindered the hair growth of the newly transplanted hair grafts right ?

Anytime you are given specific instructions by your doctor, you must understand that the instructions have a purpose. If they felt their instructions were contrary to your specific case in that you would actually harm your grafts by following their advice, they would have told you.

Post operative instructions are a fairly standard routine with the only variance being from clinic to clinic. We all have different approaches but these are developed from experience so if you were told to do something at a specific time in your recovery, there are probably thousands before you that had the same instructions as well. If there was a pattern of damage from this approach, the approach would have been altered.