New member from Melbourne: Hair Transplant

Hi guys

ive been considering a hair transplant for afew months now and im thinking of going ahead with it. Im a 25 yr old male and the loss of my hair has really affected me, for the past two years i have never gone out without my cap on, its really affected me socially and in relationships

afew months ago i came across a hair clinic in melb called hairscience, when i went there for a consultation it sounded too good to be true, your hair will start growing back at a fraction of the cost, little did i know on the day of the "procedure" they glued a wig to my head, which obviously i told them to remove

i was wondering if anyone had the procedure done and for what cost, my hairline has receeded, my crown is preety much bold, although the top part of my head still has hair but has lost density.

i just want hair is it hard to ask for!

Hi i am from sydney , i went for a HT with 'Crown Clinic' here, for 2 hair transplants... the first was quite small and yeilded some result... so i got over anxious and moved onto HT #2 six months later... very poor yeild and im not happy... i am booked for early Feb with Dr. Path in thailand , he is my last attempt , i am left with a very wide donor scar which is about 1 cm wide and even more in places... I am hoping dr path can remove alot of the scar and get a good amount of grafts , i want 3000 in the frontal third and if it grows beyond my expectations...which are modest after what i have gone through then i will move forward with him for future surgery... i just want to secure the front and i'll be happy... the crown would take too many grafts and finance.

any questions please PM me.

-Giles.

I don't know how long you have been researching your options for hair restoration but from reading your post you need to do more.

I believe you wont find a solution in Australia,

the Dr's here don't inspire much confidence.

I started with Shiell and then White, both Melb, and I wouldn't recommend either. Don't know what there is Australia nowadays, but there doesn't seem to be much except an unmentionalbe (flag) famous doc in Sydney. It might be enlightening to visit him if your'e up in Sydney for some reason, otherwise, yeah, stick with the good advice you get here

ive been researching for the past few months, im really concious about my lack of hair. scar are you meaning dr white from the hair institute?

i have a consultation with them tomorrw, i jumped on their website and they seem to be the best going around in melbourne.

Has anyone spoken to dr white or the hair institute?

in terms of other products ive tried like i said do not go to hairsceience, they are scam artists, it still amazes me that they are still in business.

Gile Lavery, you said you are going to thailand for your procedure, is this as costs are cheaper over there?

I haven't seen Dr White personally, however I met with one of his consultants in Sydney who had an obvious transplant performed by Dr White.

Post some pictures of your situation??¦it will give members a better idea of what you are dealing with.

Scar5

Dr Richard Shiell !!! He was the catalyst to my downward spiral.

Im from the sunshine coast. Im booked in with Dr path on 24th November, about 3 weeks away. I looked at Knudsen and the el mondo clinic on the gold coast. Both around $6 a graft or more. I made an appt to see someone from el mondo...drove 2 hours on a saturday to get there...waited 45 minutes but the door was locked... no-one there so I drove back home...good thing too cz I found this site eventually. At the current exchange, and youll get a better exchange if you do it in thailand youll pay about Oz$2.90 or 3.00 a graft. airfare about $1000 or less depending on how far ahead you book. Good Hotels about 50 bucks a night and cheap food. Hes recommended on this site and I havent seen any negatives from those who have been to him. He has alot of experience as well....so to me its a no brainer. Send him some pics and get his opinion.....cheers

I would definitely skip White and if Melbourne isn't good, go to Sydney, speak with the unmentionable man and his sister but don't commit and start planning for your overseas HT - that is of course if you are committed to having one in the first place. (I think mine was a mistake)

JJ - Yes, Richard the Great. NOt once, twice, but 6 times. My life changed for the worse that day but some of it was my doing. I will say that to his credit, I looked good from the front dead on for ten years, but the rest isn't good.

hey all,

i went and had a consultation with dr white on friday, he SEEMS like a nice guy, consultaion went for about an hour with no charge, he is going to send me a letter next week to let me know how much roughly the procedure would cost, he said in excess of $18,000

why would you guys skip dr white? i researched some melbourne transplants and he seems like the best one, theres a seminar happening shortly where past patients will be there to tlak about their hair loss etc

just dunno what to think! call me naive but he seems legit

Also guys atm im doing laser, any ppl you know of had success with laser therapy?

ile post some pics of my hait this week

Everyone is niave and the risk of showing off more of my niavety...

As Alex Baldwin said in the movie Gelngarry Glenross, "Nice guy?? I don't give a F&%$"

Imagine Dr. H and Dr. T. and two aspects of HT surgery

Excising the strip

Dr. H cuts extremely slowly and purposfully, attempting to avoid transection and as the tech keeps tension on the adjoining edges of the strip he starts the closure on two levels, by suturing the underlying tissue first - so as he goes so that the strip is being closed. The excision is slow and takes maybe 20 minutes or more

Dr. T

Cuts the strip in one movement like he he is chopping up a piece of steak and hungry to eat it. The sides are roughly squeezed together, the skins buckles, the patient is aware of the uneven pressure and before he knows it the staples are in. The whole excision and closure lasts a minute.

Creating the reipient sites

Dr. H

The doctor stands around the patient at different angles whilst creating the incisions, sometimes kneeling to look up to get a better sense of these angles.

Dr. T

Lets's a designated tech do the job, coming out of his office for check-ups and patient re-assurance. The tech stands high above and behind the patient, in one position, and creates the sites with a downward movement. THe angles are a non-issue, no matter what the patient says, she has a way of doing it and that's the way it will be done, because she's been trained that way.

My imaginings ciome from a long time ago and things change.

Good luck with everything..I think I can undersatnd some of the disincentives for not going OS..not the least that you have to explain why the ..you are going in the first place

re: doctor kneeling in my Dr. H scenario, now thet should read kind of hunching down so he can look up into the hairline he or she is making

A doctor on his/her knees would definitely be starnge!!lol

But seriously, tainted, it could have changed, but I think you should look elsewhere. just my experience