Hair transplant without using minoxidil or finasteride

Hair loss is progressive. So the best you can do is try to slow it down. You're 31, you've got a lifetime ahead of future progression so you'll lose in and around transplanted hairs probably and into other areas depending on where you project on the nw scale. You'll likely need to have future procedures to keep up with hair loss, so if you want to go longer between needing touch ups and future procedures you want to try to slow down loss and thats where meds factor in. Assuming you're able to use them. If you haven't tried them, it is in your best interest to at least try fin and see how you do.

Edited by mikeyhwk

Most younger guys with some degree of hair loss will only progress to higher Norwood levels over time. Hair transplant surgery can work wonders but is limited by the amount of available donor grafts so it's important to exploit every tool at our disposal.

Though there are no guarantees with Propecia and Rogaine, they offer a chance to slow the natural progress of male pattern baldness and might even regrow hair. For this reason, many hair restoration physicians strongly encourage their patients to commit to these medical hair loss treatments. Starting medical treatment about 1 year pre-op may even substantially reduce the number of graft required to meet a patient's hair restoration goals. That also provides time for the patient to determine how well they tolerate finasteride.

If medical treatment is not an option, that might disqualify someone as a candidate for surgery or, at the very least, this can be factored into the long-term hair restoration plan.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

It's not necessarily a deal breaker, but it is something that you would want to discuss with a surgeon during your consultation so that they can take that into consideration when coming up with a recommendation on how to proceed. For some doctors (and depending on your particular case), they may think it's necessary in order for them to perform a procedure on you - or they may just have to adjust their recommendation accordingly.

David is also spot on in that if you are going to take Finasteride, it's best to try it out for a year or so before your procedure so that you can see how you respond to it. If it's not something you're able to take due to side effects, this is something you and the surgeon want to know before you have the hair transplant. The more information you and the doctor each have going into the procedure, the better.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56