First post - looking for info on Chicago Drs for HT

My husband is looking to undergo HT and is overwhelmed with the research process. We are looking to get a few consultations before deciding who to go with. He has had one consultation at a very high profile facility and the cost seemed very high to us. He is a 4A on the norwood scale and they quoted 23k! We don't want to waste a lot of time going to doctor after doctor after doctor. Like everyone on here, we are looking for quality but don't want to break the bank. I tried using the 'search forum' feature to look for chicagoland specific posts but it took me to a list of site members.

Is there a way I can search posts regarding people who have had HT with specific doctors in the Chicagoland area? Or can people chim in to this post with recommendations on who to check out. I did look on the 'find a surgeon' tool and I see those 3 doctors that are listed. I'd really love any input people have on specific doctors though.

thanks so much.

Dr. Konior is in Chicago. I don't think you will find anyone better anywhere. A hair transplant is not something you want to bargain shop for. Go to whoever you feel is the best even if it costs more. Living with a bad/unnatural hair transplant result is WAY worse than balding naturally. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

I understand people not wanting to break the bank, but make sure you do your research. I think you'll get a lot of people that will mention Konior. He is not only the best (in my opinion) in Chicago, but among the best in the country. I don't know who you consulted, but a transplant will affect your husband for life. For this reason, I say pick whoever you like the most after ample research and go with them. 5 years from now, you're not going to miss the 6k you saved on a budget procedure but could carry regret for many years to come by picking the wrong one.

Also, don't limit your search to Chicago. That can't be stressed enough, especially if you are value shopping. SMG (Shapiro Medical Group) isn't too far and I like them. I drove 8 hours for both my consult and my procedure because I wanted to get it right. I would have driven 18 hours. I researched for 2 years prior. So, my biggest advice is be careful and get it right the first time. There is little room for error and money you think you will save can end up costing you donor hair (which you will never get back) and money (which you can).

Good luck, whoever you choose. Do your research, there is no such thing as an emergency hair transplant!

Edited by Spanker

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

If you're unable to leave Chicago, it's Konior or bust.

One of the finest practices in the United States, but be aware of a considerable waiting list for he is in high demand and rightfully so.

One of his close colleagues is Dr. Steven Gabel out of Portland, who was my physician, and they collaborate on medical literature and could not respect each other more as peers.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Welcome! Our community prescreens and recommends hair transplant surgeons worldwide. In the Chicago area we recommend the following 3 hair transplant surgeons...

Dr. Richard Keller

Dr. Raymond Konior

Dr. Vladimir Panine

To learn about our criteria for recommending physicians, click here.

You can also schedule free online consultations with recommended physicians by using this form.

Another great resource we offer are the patient created, Hair Restoration Websites. Here you can find firsthand patient experiences for most all of the hair restoration physicians we recommend.

David

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanks everyone for the great information. And trust me, I do understand not looking for a budget hair transplant, but I also feel like going to a facility where professional athletes and celebrities go, is driving up the budget to pay for advertising and a fancy facility. So, to that end, we would like someone who knows what he is doing and does it well, but we do not need the person that does HT for the 'stars'.

Thanks everyone for the great information. And trust me, I do understand not looking for a budget hair transplant, but I also feel like going to a facility where professional athletes and celebrities go, is driving up the budget to pay for advertising and a fancy facility. So, to that end, we would like someone who knows what he is doing and does it well, but we do not need the person that does HT for the 'stars'.

A reputable practice keeps patient confidentiality unless given permission to show case a patent's results, but trust me, no reputable clinic is advertising celebrity clients, in fact I'd consider that a red flag.

Mostly chain clinics with national advertising marketing pull that.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

• 2 weeks later...

I had a HT with Dr Konior in April of 2017. I highly recommend him. Feel free to send me a private message if you have more questions about the procedure. He performed my second HT so I can tell you first hand not all HT docs are the same.