Fue in donor scar

I believe it's possibly to greatly improve the appearance of a less than optimal strip scar via FUE, but it's going to be difficult to achieve a completely undetectable look if your plan is to buzz down that low.

The problem is that there's a lot of talk about this but hardly any posted results. "After" picture sets often include a photo exposing the scar by combing up average-length donor hair, which is next to worthless if you want to keep a closely-cropped cut.

But here's a pretty good one:

http://hair-restoration-info.c...21087683/m/975102654

The left side looks great; another pass at it to cover the spot on the center-right and he might be set. The yield is probably never going to be terrific, so I'd go in with the expectation that more than one procedure is likely to be necessary.

There was another result floating around somewhere that looked even better and was buzzed down almost to the skin, but I can't find it.

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

Although this is a big improvement I think the scar is still clearly detectable at this length (which is very short). The issue is not just that the hair is missing but the color of the scar does not match the surrounding skin. Some people have reported that the effect of this can be reduced but not removed by the use of products like bio-oil.

Thank you all for your replies it is very comforting that hear that it is doable, even if it may require more than one session. I would go for strip tomorrow if I was certain of being able to buzz down to #1 or #2 and that the scar would not stand out. I am hoping that if I went to the likes of H&W, SMG, Feller or Rahal for strip and then used my chest and a bit of beard hair for fue with he who can't be named or his sister as I live in Australia. Would this likely be achievable? It would be great to hear from others who have done similar to this.

• 4 weeks later...

I found the other case I mentioned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrmXbs0mgOw

If I'm not mistaken, Dr. Diep is one of the guys who trained under Rassman. Don't know much about him, but the patient's repair situation is looking very promising. The left side of the scar has already received some grafts and looks great, IMO. It sounds like the plan is to attack it again in addition to starting the revision of the right half. The donor hair is practically buzzed right down to the skin.

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

Although I have posted many times that I personally prefer scar excision to FUE'ing a scar, I am editing pics for posting of a black male, on whom we did 100 FUE's into a hypertrophic scar on Christmas eve. He did great, but it can be tough to FUE on curly, curly, curly hair...

I'll post his case in a few days.

And we have a second black male coming up on Jan 22 for the same procedure. For someone with a significant risk of scar issues, who is adamant against a scar excision, this is a reasonable alternative.

Dr. Lindsey McLean

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thankyou youngsuccess and dr. lindsey. I have not seen many scar revision pictures but I would love to, so I could compare it to fue into the scar. I think it would be hard to beat tricho closure plus fue into the scar. Cheers

Julias, I have posted a few cases of scar repair and you can use the find tool to locate them.

I agree with you that for most folks a good tricho closure after a scar revision, augmented maybe 6 months later (if needed) by FUE would produce nice results for almost all candidates.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians