Questions about FUT

I have some questions regarding FUT. Any help would be much appreciated.

1) When somebody does a second FUT operation, does this mean you will have two scars i.e. one below the other?

2) Does the fact you have a second procedure mean that the second scar is more, less or just as likely to be "bigger" i.e. stretch than the first time because of the change in scalp laxity?

3) Speaking of laxity - can you get more grafts from each procedure the longer you leave between each one as the scalp heals or does it not matter?

4) Can you do 3rd or even 4th FUT operations or is the sweet spot maxed out at two? If it depends on the person, what are the factors?

5) How many FUE grafts does it take to cover a scar and how short can you then cut the hair?

6) Not technically about FUT but I have been told by Feriduni that the recession stabilises at around the age of 35 (on average). Can anybody give any opinions or, better yet, evidence to support or challenge that claim? I am 32 now and if I have my first one done late next year, I will be 33 and a half.

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators
1) When somebody does a second FUT operation, does this mean you will have two scars i.e. one below the other?

If the first one was done correctly and placed in the right location, then the 2nd procedure will be done along the same scar and result in only having one scar.

2) Does the fact you have a second procedure mean that the second scar is more, less or just as likely to be "bigger" i.e. stretch than the first time because of the change in scalp laxity?

There should be only one scar. It is generally slightly wider than the first due to scalp tightness after the first procedure, but this varies. If you had some scar stretching from the first one, then you could end up with a better scar after the 2nd one. Some people don't seem to see any real difference in the scar after multiple procedures.

3) Speaking of laxity - can you get more grafts from each procedure the longer you leave between each one as the scalp heals or does it not matter?

You should generally wait at least a year between procedures for several reasons such as allowing the transplanted hair to grow, so you know what is needed in a further procedure and so the scalp can get back some of the laxity.

4) Can you do 3rd or even 4th FUT operations or is the sweet spot maxed out at two? If it depends on the person, what are the factors?

I think most people can get up to 4 procedures, but it depends on session size and genetics. If you had a 4500 mega-session and another 4000 mega-session, you may be out of donor with not much laxity left, but if you had smaller sessions, you may be able to get more. There are other factors as well.

5) How many FUE grafts does it take to cover a scar and how short can you then cut the hair?

Obviously this is going to depend on the length and width of the scar, but I've seen some very good FUE procedures covering scars. If you want to buzz down, it's going to take a few more, but if you are keeping your hair even just a bit longer it may only take a small number of grafts just to break up the emptiness of the scarred area, so it's not noticeable

6) Not technically about FUT but I have been told by Feriduni that the recession stabilises at around the age of 35 (on average). Can anybody give any opinions or, better yet, evidence to support or challenge that claim? I am 32 now and if I have my first one done late next year, I will be 33 and a half.

I disagree with this. I've seen people with full heads of hair in their 40s who become NW 4 or NW5 in their 50s.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Great answers, thank you very much. I am going to finally get around to booking consultations in the next month or two with my short list. The one doctor I really want to see doesn't have availability for consultations until August 2018 and his PR man takes ages (weeks!) to reply to emails. So frustrating.

Are you more or less likely to have a more visible scar if you're pale?