crusting, dissolvable sutures and the 1st trip to the hairdresser

I have some questions.

1. Dr Bernstein in a study he did concluded that vigorous irrigation(ie showers every 3 hours the day following surgery) 1- 2 days after the op should be able to eliminate surface crusting while allowing the coagulum around the graft to hold it firmly in place. Dr Bernstein instructs his patients to do this.It is said to significantly reduce crusting. Has anyone done this? Did it work? Any problems?

2.Has anyone had dissolvable sutures that dissolve over a couple of months.I have this option and it seems to me this would greatly help prevent stretching of the scar especially if you exercise intensely. Anyone used this option and can anyone see disadvantages.

3. Ill be growing my hair a bit before the op, but within a month after Ill need a haircut. Do you just go along to your normal hairdresser and say "I had a HT a few weeks ago, watch out for the new scar". what do others do or say. I dont know my hairdresser very well. Thanks

Ill see if I can help.

1. Dr. Konior, who did my surgery, told me to do the same...yes it worked...by day 3 I had almost no scabs at all.

2. I had a double layer closure. Disolvable under, staples on surface...scars looks great so far.

3.Find a hairdresser that works on HT patients...They will be more expirienced with dealing with the scar...and they won't ask any questions....Ask Dr. B if he can recomend anyone...I would wait at least 1 month before getting a hair cut...Hope this helps icon_cool.gif

Just a thought from the peanut gallery...

1. No idea regarding this. I used to shower only once a day. I had normal scabbing, that went away in about 2 weeks.

2. I don't think dissolvale sutures has anything to do with preventing scar stretching. For my first HT, I had dissolvable suture, and I still got quite a bit of scar stretching.

3. I just go to my regular hairdressing place. I never told the hairdressers anything about my HT, and they usually don't ask anything. After my 1st HT, once one of the hairdressers asked me about the scar and if I had injured my head. I just told her that I had a surgery on my head (I didn't specify what type of surgery and she didn't ask). Recently, I had a haircut after my 2nd surgery. I know I have a clear wide scar, and I had my hair cut quite short. However, the hairdresser didn't ask me a thing about my scar, but I noticed that she had deliberately kept the hair just above the scar slightly long enough to hide the scars.

So the next time you go to the hairdresser, just take it easy. If they ask you anything, feel free to tell them you had a surgery.

Thanks for that. Im actually going to Dr Path in Thailand and I live in australia so there wont be any hairdressers around the place I live that would be familiar with HTs I wouldnt think. Guess ill just have to warn them before they start and hope they dont ask questions too loudly. Cheers