Do transplanted hairs fall out if you stop using Minoxidil?

I really want this clear before i start using minoxidil. I have had HT over two weeks ago and planning starting minoxidil but i have a concern - If i apply it to the transplanted hairs and then stop using it a year or two later will they fall off?

I have Some transplanted hairs around native hairs as well so i cannot avoid applying on the transplanted hairs if i was to use minoxidil (except crown). Perhaps members who have had this sort of experience can contribute which would definitely help alot of people about this issue.

Also does Minoxidil just promote early growth or does it also thicken hairs?

And, do you have to apply it twice a day? Will it not have any effect applying it once a day? if applying once a day does it mean it will promote growth much later than if you were applying it twice a day?

Lastly if applying twice a day, do you have to shower it off twice a day? for example apply it night and morning but at both times do you have to shower first in order to remove the previous applcation?

Please explain

Any hair gained and maintained from medicine WILL eventually be lost upon termination of use. I use it once a day, otherwise it irritates my scalp. Minox has a half life of like 16 hours I think? So it should be 'fine'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

ultimate,

Transplanted hair won't become dependent on minoxidil. Thus, don't worry about losing these hairs if you stop taking it. If you are talking about whether or not minoxidil can prevent the transplanted hair from initially falling out the first couple weeks after surgery, don't count on it.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill,

I trust you but is this proven? or you are just concluding based on theories? Sorry but i get confused because if transplanted hairs gain anything even just thickening then this means that it will go thinner or fall out when minoxidil is stopped.

And, can someone enlighten on my other questions above plz

Hey Ultimate,

I personally don't believe that Minoxidil will thicken transplanted hair beyond the thickness that they were in the donor area. If it did, when you cease it's use in theory the hairs would simply return to their original thickness before the transplant. When you hear of Minoxidil working to thicken hair, this is hair that is in the process of miniaturization and not already healthy thick hair. May be it also thickens healthy hair, I'm not sure but this shouldn't make previously healthy hair dependant on its use in terms of growth.

It may be that Minoxidil will help speed up the thickening of transplanted hair but as stated above I don't believe it will thicken the hair beyond it's original thickness and the only benefit being a possible speed up of the process.

There are a few highly respected docotors that believe using Minoxidil post-op can result in early growth.

Like MikeTheDane, many users only use Minoxidil once per day, I actually read that the half life of Minoxidil is 22 hours and that once per day application is almost as effective as twice per day.

If you plan on using Rogaine foam, I see no reason to wash between application. If you are using the liquid, then I would wash off the previous application as the liquid can be very greasy... I would have concerns regarding the absorption of the second dose.

Maxxy,

I have a dry scalp so i think i would be using the Foam and not the liquid as i have read here that it can cause alot of side effects.

With regards to transplanted hairs, imagine if you were to apply minoxidil to the donor hairs then surely some hairs would thicken as not all hairs in the donor area are of same thickness, this means that some transplanted hairs would thicken if minoxidil was applied. Then if you stop minoxidil - it means these transplated hairs that have thicken will go thinner (original state). But my concern is if the transplanted hairs gets worse if minoxidil is stopped? has anybody experienced something like this?

Bill,

I have similar hairloss like you had before your HTs and therefore i got to have more than one procedure. In the meantime i want to keep some of the existing hairs with minoxidil. I notice you are not using minoxidil, can i ask whats your main reason for not using it (after your first/second procedure) ?

ultimate,

Understanding how minoxidil works and why is the key to understanding the answer to your concerns. For starters, there are no clinical "proof" to support the obvious. Typically, men and women with genetic and progressive hair loss use minoxidil. If the minoxidil is working, it's helping to regrow hairs that would have been dying on their own. These dying hairs as long as they survive due to the minoxidil are considered "minoxidil dependent". The reason why they're termed this way is because without minoxidl, genetics would continue to kill the hair. Natural or transplanted hair resistant to DHT aren't affected by genes. Thus, these self-sustaining hairs can't become "minoxidil dependent".

On the flip side, there is no clinical proof suggesting that minoxidil can jump start early transplanted hair growth. Some physicians and patients swear by it and based on observation, I'd suggest its possible. But transplanted hair is self sustaining and would grow thick and healthy on its own without minoxidil.

I hope this helps.

Bill

ultimate,

Regarding my own experience and why I don't use minoxidil, I felt it wasn't doing anything more for me than irritating my scalp and growing a few thin, fine hairs in the crown. Admittedly however, I've been considering trying Rogaine foam in the crown and below to see if it will help strengthen some of the natural hairs. But since I'm relatively happy with the overall coverage in the back and density in the front, I haven't taken the plunge. Potentially going through a hair shedding period and not be sure I'll garner any benefit from it isn't very compelling.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill, very good explanation as always. I just dont want to become minoxidil dependent for rest of my life so that gives me some relief.

So in a nutshell,

Minoxidil speeds up growth on all hairs (native & transplanted) and stabilises hairloss on Native Hair Only. Stopping Minoxidil will cause hairloss on whatever gained on Native Hair.