loosing crown haira

After 2 hair transplants at the front loosing hairs from crown. Please suggest if i can go for the same? Or any risk? Currently on minioxidil 5% and hair fibres for thickness.

Pfa attached pics

IMAG2177.thumb.jpg.8374d50a4f3b6da98e75b6febc63dff8.jpg

IMG-20170508-WA0019.thumb.jpg.23681221a74a56dc16f9e0cf5b2e6056.jpg

IMG-20170508-WA0017.thumb.jpg.148ea13dc34cf5a92cf7307023f6ec2e.jpg

SD,

How old are you?

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

SD,

At it's current level, maybe something around 1,100 or 1,200. Crowns require a deceivingly large number of grafts. The issue, however, is your age. It is likely that your crown will continue thinning. It is even more likely that it will continue thinning in a "sun-burst" type of spreading pattern. If you hit the area now, you may be in a situation where the transplant works well, the crown continues thinning, and you're left with an "island" of transplants surrounded by bald scalp around it. Because of this, some might recommend holding off on the crown for now or using a very conservative approach to get some strategic coverage back there without using too many grafts or creating a situation where it may look unnatural up the road.

Best of luck.

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I would probably go back to the doctor who performed the prior transplants and see what he/she thinks about operating in the crown. The doctor may be able to evaluate your specific hair loss and determine whether or not jumping into the crown now is a good idea.

Your doctor can microscopically examine the hair in your crown area to see how much diffusion is going on and where it is impeding. Just judging from the pics, it looks obvious to me that the crown will open up with more loss.

The crown can potentially demand as much as 2/3 of one's available scalp donor which is not a good thing. You can always get a light density pass to help with some light level of visual coverage but certainly not with a high level of density.

How long have you been on minoxidil and do you think you are responding well to it? Sometimes there can be shedding and/or thinning of the crown area when first beginning the use of minoxidil. Possible that's a part of the equation.

However if you have been using minoxidil for more than say 9 months, then you probably cannot expect much more in terms of your crown getting any thicker.

Finasteride can potentially help the crown from getting worse as it is most effective in that area of the scalp.

PRP treatments can be expensive as an ongoing non-surgical treatment and I for one am not sold on PRP as being a good alternative for treating MPB.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Yes overall i had 2 hair transplants in the beginning and my doc told I have enough donor area, that 3 more hair transplants are easily possible of 2000 grafts each. I am just worried about crown its thinning. so my question is shall i go for HT or not?

I think your crown is bald enough that you could have a procedure to address it. But if it's getting worse as quickly as you say it is then you might want to wait and see how it progresses.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

So minioxidil I am using currently from almost 1 month..but I can see more hairs I am loosing after using this . is this normal? N also I am using hair fibres . is it fine if i go for transplant in next coming 2-3 weeks?what do you suggest? this thinning happened in these 5 months only , i ahd my last transplant on 5th dec,2016.

Minoxidil can cause shedding in the early months. I think you should wait before having a crown procedure.

Crowns requires a lot of grafts to make a difference. You probably need. 1500-2000 to make a good, lasting difference.

But I think you should wait. Don't tie your personal worth up with your hair. You're more than just a head of hair.

My doc told around 1000-1200 grafts for procedure. He told me to go for PRP first and advised me to take minoxidil and some medicines. Transplant he also not recommending me. does minoxidil make difference in density and help in regrowth? And if i go for hair transplant is there any risk involved?

Minoxidil can be very effective for the crown area and a lot of people re-grow hair in the crown. I think your doctor's course of action is very sound. Definitely listen to him.

Some todays pics w/o light. I dont think minioxidil can do anything here. What i am thinking is to get procedure done and then will take care in future of existing crown hairs. Its like a dud on my head.

IMAG2506_2.thumb.jpg.cc93b0d5a18a7a4087fa1c45a91b6693.jpg

IMAG2506_1.jpg.afe74633dadebad138386b81de0c37d7.jpg

The crown takes a lot of grafts to repair. At this point, although your crown is thinning, it is completely skin bald. You still have native hairs. I wouldnt touch that area just yet. You can ise concealers to hide the thinning for now. If you work on this now, due to native hairs being there you can risk shockloss, thus not get your moneys worth or become a repair patient needing multiple repairs. Best of luck.

Hi Sean,

You mean to say with help of minoxidil there are chances that native hairs can become thicker and also regrow can happen? Just wanted to let you know that I am on minoxidil from past 1 month and only i can notice shedding of hairs becomes more after using the same.

Secondly i am using hairouse hair fibres regularly and i agree it completely covers this batch but it wont stay in wet area. but this also affects my budget since per month cost for this Rs 2000 . Does hair fibres has any side effects?

Thirdly i just had one more doubt, if thinning gets stopped in the crown in next one month , Am I good to go for transplant? In the front also after first transplant my doc put some extra grafts within existing hairs and it hasn't damaged the existing ones, then why this is the case not possible for crown? Why only shock loss in the crown but not in front?

Thanks in advance.

Br

sumeet

Hi Sumeet,

Youve been on minoxidil for a month. That is definitely not enough time to see results. If you are a good responder, you should see growth by the end of the year. Minoxidil does make you shed initially as it throws off your growth cycles, it takes a few months to see results. It sheds weaker hairs and grows nourished thicker hairs in replacement. Definitly use it as directed and report results in 6 months and one year mark.

I am not familiar with the hair fibers you are using, do you have toppik or nanogen or couvre in your area?

Shockloss can happen anywhere in recipient or crown or even donor. In my experience vs what some doc told me, it can happen within native zones. If you have substantial hairloss in your family, definitely consider restoration especially the crown for later. You do not want to use too many grafts in that area.

Ar kissi ki baaton mein nahi ana. Agar koi sawal ho, muje pm karna. Best of luck and best wishes.