Antidepressants after hair transplant?

Hi everyone,

So today I am at about 2 weeks after my FUE transplant. I was on Sertralin 50mg previously but quit it 1 month before the procedure. So now I want to ask Can I get back to using antidepressant (Sertralin/Zoloft) at this point ? Does it cause any damage to my grafts or affect growth in any ways?

Thanks a lot.

Whyohwhy,

This is a very interesting question. My first question to you would be, did your hair transplant surgeon advise you to stop taking your antidepressants before surgery? Zoloft and many antidepressants calm with withdrawal symptoms if you stop cold turkey so I'm a little surprised and confused as to why you may have been advised to stop taking them.

I have not heard anything about Zoloft causing hair loss let alone interfering with hair transplant growth, but feel free to check with your hair transplant surgeon on that. Also, before just resuming your medication, I would consult with your doctor, the one who prescribed it as it's not typically advisable to go on and off antidepressant medication.

Best wishes,

Bill

Whyohwhy,

This is a very interesting question. My first question to you would be, did your hair transplant surgeon advise you to stop taking your antidepressants before surgery? Zoloft and many antidepressants calm with withdrawal symptoms if you stop cold turkey so I'm a little surprised and confused as to why you may have been advised to stop taking them.

I have not heard anything about Zoloft causing hair loss let alone interfering with hair transplant growth, but feel free to check with your hair transplant surgeon on that. Also, before just resuming your medication, I would consult with your doctor, the one who prescribed it as it's not typically advisable to go on and off antidepressant medication.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hi tks for the answer. The truth is that I stopped when I started to feel better and did not want to continue using the drugs without consulting my doctor first. only now that I realize it is a bad idea and after talking with my doctor the other day he suggested that I should return to using it at least for 6 more months otherwise the symptoms may come back anytime after I stop. He also says that in his experiences hair transplant would not be affected.

I just want to ask if any of the members here had transplants and using any types of antidepressants and whether it affects their growths afterwards.

Whyohwhy.

I Was on antidepressants before, during and after my transplant surgery. I spoke with my own Dr, and the HT Dr about this before I had the proceedure. They both thought there wasnt any increased risk of further hairloss because of the medication (fluoxetine) - I brought the subject up with them because hairloss is listed as a side effect of fluoxetine.

I dont think i have suffered any noticeable hairloss because of the medication. And my HT was a complete success.

As Bill has already said, speak to your own Dr first and foremost, and explain any concerns you have...

Some anti-depressant medications do list hair loss as a rare side effect. However, almost all medications do list "hair loss" somewhere on sprawling list of "potential side effects." Personally, I have never seen this. I've had many patients on different classes of anti-depressant medications undergo hair transplantation successfully, and I've never noticed any correlations nor have I had them alter their medication regimen. Make sure you discuss any medication changes with the doctor who prescribed the anti-depressant. He/she is the only one who should make changes. My guess, however, is he/she would tell you it's not a common occurrence and to continue the medication.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I can't imagine there being a correlation here regarding the growth of the transplanted hairs. My primary concern would be that you stopped taking the medication without the supervision of your doctor. I'm glad you've sorted this out with him, as stopping cold turkey can have really damaging effects on a person and make the situation even worse.

Good luck with your future growth! Hopefully a successful hair transplant will help lift your spirits. :)))) Best of luck bud.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

In four decades I cannot recall anyone stating that their HT results were negatively impacted by taking anti-depressants.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hi everyone,

So today I am at about 2 weeks after my FUE transplant. I was on Sertralin 50mg previously but quit it 1 month before the procedure. So now I want to ask Can I get back to using antidepressant (Sertralin/Zoloft) at this point ? Does it cause any damage to my grafts or affect growth in any ways?

Thanks a lot.

I would assume there is a slight chance antidepressants thin the blood hence the reason for avoiding around the operation date. Definitely do not mix the antidepressants with finasteride if you're also taking that.

• 1 year later...
On 4/22/2017 at 9:59 AM, superdudeo said:

I would assume there is a slight chance antidepressants thin the blood hence the reason for avoiding around the operation date. Definitely do not mix the antidepressants with finasteride if you're also taking that.

Why not take anti depressants and finasteride at the same time ?

Regimen: 5% Minoxidil twice a day (morning and night) on front hairline, Proscar (broken into 5 pieces) one piece every night. MSM 1000 Mg, Zinc 30 Mg, Vitamin E, Multi-Vitamin.

Baby Shampoo for showering.

I recommend that you present this question to your HT doctor.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY