Contemplating HT vs SMP - Restless/sleepless

Hello,

I'm in the dilemma of my lifetime with my wedding date set in 3 months' time. I seek some insights and advice in regards to undergoing second HT vs getting SMP.

I underwent a HT in Turkey 2 summers ago. It turned out to be a run-of-the mill facility where the surgeon didn't do anything except provide consultation. Needless to say, being economical wasn't really the best decision and the outcome wasn't anywhere as good as I'd desired/hoped for.

I'm contemplating undergoing another HT over the next few weeks vs getting SMP done. I've done some research in both but I'm more confused than ever.

I've sent my pic to several docs and the variance in number of grafts required is significantly different. The lowest quoted 2200 grafts and the highest, 4500.

I've given serious thoughts to traveling to India (I live in South Asia) for HT for various reasons.

SMP doesn't seem feasible to me for various reasons - 1. Cost is nearly the same. 2. All 3 sessions isn't possible in my case in the same trip as the most number of days I can spend in Europe (closest to me) is 10 days. 3. Even in case of SMP, based on my research/posts that I've read in forums, permanent SMP can turn green/change colors or fade away. I'd quite prefer SMP over HT but I've been advised that HT might be better.

In regards to HT, my surgeon is going to perform FUT using tricophytic closure and he claims that I'll have little/no scar. Could there be any truth to that? I mean, he's sent me a clip in which he runs a comb over the transplanted fellow's donor area but how'd I know that the guy even received HT in the first place?

Also, I under went FUE HT before. Will FUT be any different? My doctor says the donor area won't be shaved at all and he'll only be shaving the recipient area. I'm confused as I've seen so many videos and pictures on here in which donor areas are shaved. Since my previous experience was an awful one, I've tried my best to erase any memory of my own experience.

And I know this is a longshot, but how many grafts do you think will I require? I just wanna make sure that I'm not being 'cheated' in regards to number of grafts my doc's told me I'll be requiring. Also, I've been told that he'll perform slit making and incision part while his team will perform graft dissection/insertion. Do reputed docs follow same procedure? (my doc's also recommended on here). I've been told I'll need around 4000 grafts/80k hair (in his world) and he's told me my HT is a one-day procedure. I thought anything more than 3000 grafts was asking for disaster.

And finally, what sort of realistic goal should I expect in your opinion? I've attached some pictures and I want to be realistic as undergoing HT is a huge financial burden as a resident of a third world country. Also, will I need to continue taking meds/nizoral and applying minodixil? I'm not taking any medications right now.

Thank you for reading this.

Here are some pics taken in November. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Edited by hairtransplanthrowaway
Added some info about potential HT

To be completely honest, smp is absolute crap.

All tattoos bleed out, maitenance and having to deal with colour contrast issues in the future. A lot of the time they have a blue^green tinge once they settle and deal with sun damage. Essentially you will need to cover up around the sun, as snobs no different then wearing a hair piece. Restrictions and the sun ruins it.

A lot of the time it doesn't look good unless you are dark coloured due to contrast differences. Will need to putore effort in keeping the sides and back shaved so you don't have a horse shoe appearance. As the sides and back are more dense and strong in pigmentation then the top.

Hair transplants or shaving

To be completely honest, smp is absolute crap.

All tattoos bleed out, maitenance and having to deal with colour contrast issues in the future. A lot of the time they have a blue^green tinge once they settle and deal with sun damage. Essentially you will need to cover up around the sun, as snobs no different then wearing a hair piece. Restrictions and the sun ruins it.

A lot of the time it doesn't look good unless you are dark coloured due to contrast differences. Will need to putore effort in keeping the sides and back shaved so you don't have a horse shoe appearance. As the sides and back are more dense and strong in pigmentation then the top.

Hair transplants or shaving

I'm not caucasian, but brown. So I'm not sure if that works. I'm leaning heavily towards getting FUT but at this point of time, I guess the biggest concern is regarding FUT scar. Like I said before, my doc claims I won't have any visible scars due to tricophytic closure.

SMP for crown work into existing hair or for FUT scars, then Yes. That's the only time I recommend it.

Full head SMP only ever really works on a few head/face types, and only when done be an elite practitioner.

If you had a subpar HT result 1st time around, go with an elite (Hasson, Erdogan, Konior level) surgeon known to produce very few or zero poor results.

Can you post pics of the area you are going to have done?

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

SMP for crown work into existing hair or for FUT scars, then Yes. That's the only time I recommend it.

Full head SMP only ever really works on a few head/face types, and only when done be an elite practitioner.

If you had a subpar HT result 1st time around, go with an elite (Hasson, Erdogan, Konior level) surgeon known to produce very few or zero poor results.

Can you post pics of the area you are going to have done?

Here they are... Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I can't afford elite ones. I've found a recommended surgeon and at this point of time, I'm concerned with FUT scars (and again, he says I won't have any scars due to tricophytic closure). That's my only concern.

If you can't afford at least Erdogan, he is "affordable" compared to the global average, then you may end up in the same situation once again losing precious donor hair.

Be careful, hair restoration surgery is not like buying a used car.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)