15 day post FUE - strange white buildup in the front

I had a 3000 graft FUE procedure done around 15 days ago. I religiously followed all the care instructions and everything seemed well however for the last 3 days I have this strange white build up in my hair. I sent some pictures to my doctors assistant and he suggested I'm not scrubbing my scalp properly and it's dandruff. He suggested to massage with olive oil to soften it, take direct shower and use anti dandruff shampoo to get rid of dandruff. These are my pictures right after the shower. The build up seems different than regular dandruff though. Scrubbing didn't help much but I can actually take it off using my fingernails (it gets off like, let's say something creamy when the scalp is wet). When the scalp is dry, it gets off like flakes. Is this just build up from all the baby shampoo I used? Just dead skin? Or extreme dandruff? I saw a Dr yesterday for some other reasons, and he commented that my scalp does not look infected so that's a relief. Wondering if anyone else had these issues? Is it safe to scrape it off using my nails (considering it's 15th day post FUE and the roots must be all fixed. Any suggestions/comments will be appreciated.

Btw I will post another thread with my experience and pictures :)

IMG_6364.thumb.jpg.89eb0f03a51627d5634fdf6ce7cc61cb.jpg

IMG_6360.thumb.jpg.6f2c221e2037bf96297da6f8250e29cd.jpg

Thanks a lot for the quick feedback guys. I didn't scratch much, infact it was more like lifting that build-up using my nails but I'll make sure not to do it anymore. I'll keep on massaging it with fingers and see how that goes. Still not sure if it's dandruff or not but I'll keep watching it. Another question, is it too early to use Nioxin and/or Nizoral at this point? Or are they too harsh. My Dr's assistant mentioned I could use any shampoo now however suggested using an anti dandruff shampoo and I'm using head and shoulders now. Any ideas/suggestions?

looks like we are on the same days! (I'm also day 15 post op!).

It looks like really dry skin to me; I'd leave it; and as the doctor says; rub some oil.

Don't use your regular shampoo until you're 1 month post-op (that's the advice I've been given)

If you want to use shampoo; use pH neutral or baby shampoo.

As for in between washes; try emu oil; it's lighter than olive oil (less greasy) and full of lots of omega fats. Coconut oil is also fantastic.

It looks like you still have A LOT of crusting still there; have you not tried to rub it off with your fingertips yet? at day 15; you really shouldn't have any crusting left.

Perfect, I shall do that. Have you started shedding hair yet? My transplanted hair have grown quite a bit however I have started shedding them (mostly when I rub oil).

I have started to shed yes :( and I was just getting used to having a proper hairline too! (take a look at my thread)

I first got paranoid that the doctor had missed areas or had left areas with reduced density; but I'm pretty sure this is just shedded hair. I've noticed it in my fingertips after showering today; and also when I run my hand through my hair.

As I mentioned; emu oil seems very light (lighter than olive oil) to me, and may be a better bet. I think vitamin E is meant to be really sticky so avoid that. Coconut oil is also a bit thicker; but very good for dry scalps. I suffer from a ridiculously dry scalp unfortunately; but touch wood I have been fine so far.

Probably a combination of sebaceous (from your oil glands) and or oozing (from the procedure itself) buildup from not being able to wash your scalp as rigorously as before.

Just follow your doc's instructions and don't worry about it, you have to take extreme caution until post-op day 10.

It's stressing to see it but don't worry about it.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I have started to shed yes :( and I was just getting used to having a proper hairline too! (take a look at my thread)

I first got paranoid that the doctor had missed areas or had left areas with reduced density; but I'm pretty sure this is just shedded hair. I've noticed it in my fingertips after showering today; and also when I run my hand through my hair.

As I mentioned; emu oil seems very light (lighter than olive oil) to me, and may be a better bet. I think vitamin E is meant to be really sticky so avoid that. Coconut oil is also a bit thicker; but very good for dry scalps. I suffer from a ridiculously dry scalp unfortunately; but touch wood I have been fine so far.

Thank you, same here I shed hair mostly while applying oil. I'm going to get my hands on some emu oil for sure. Do you just leave it in all day or just apply a couple hours before showering?

I think we are in the same boat here. I have the dryest possible scalp and it doesn't help that I live in the dryest place on the planet. I checked out your thread and it looks really good. Great job on choosing the right surgeon. It took me almost a year to do all the research and choose a surgeon that suits me.

Thank you, same here I shed hair mostly while applying oil. I'm going to get my hands on some emu oil for sure. Do you just leave it in all day or just apply a couple hours before showering?

I think we are in the same boat here. I have the dryest possible scalp and it doesn't help that I live in the dryest place on the planet. I checked out your thread and it looks really good. Great job on choosing the right surgeon. It took me almost a year to do all the research and choose a surgeon that suits me.

Thanks; who did you end up going with?

I just leave it in about 3-4hours before a shower; as I'm currently washing my hair everyday (just for this month; then I'll switch back to every other day).

Thanks; who did you end up going with?

I just leave it in about 3-4hours before a shower; as I'm currently washing my hair everyday (just for this month; then I'll switch back to every other day).

Thank you. I ended up going with Dr Humayun Mohmand (Pakistan).

looks like we are on the same days! (I'm also day 15 post op!).

It looks like you still have A LOT of crusting still there; have you not tried to rub it off with your fingertips yet? at day 15; you really shouldn't have any crusting left.

18-day post FUE, still have a lot of crusting in the front. When I rub, it's mostly hair that come out, not the crust. I am very nervous at this point :(

Attaching a picture. I think I should see a doctor to find out if it's infected perhaps?

Unlike the other transplanted hair, the hair around this crust fee quite hard/spikey too.

IMG_6450.thumb.jpg.300ae198007dc9178316db028ce5f579.jpg

IMG_6449.thumb.jpg.ce617dfb8523a8a92843a06431961cdc.jpg

Another post-shampoo picture that I just took. The build up is on my skin (the non hairy part) as well. Weird.

Its really Strange that you Also have ALOT buildup at the side hair, wich is not the reciepted area.

Did you get it removed from that area? And is it making you loose hairs in the donor area?

Its really Strange that you Also have ALOT buildup at the side hair, wich is not the reciepted area.

Did you get it removed from that area? And is it making you loose hairs in the donor area?

No, I haven't lost any hair in the donor area. I was actually also thinking of changing From Johnsons baby shampoo to Aveenos baby shampoo. I have no idea what this white build up is. It doesn't feel itchy though. Dead skin? Dandruff? My skin reacting? Shampoo buildup? Anesthesia coming out? I don't really know but this wasn't there till 14th day post transplant.

I have also been working on massaging the scabs harder in a circular motion and extending the shower time. Thanks to everyone's advice here, I got rid of some. I think I'd have to work like this for 2-3 more days to get rid of the scabs so let's see.

Attaching a picture of today's progress.

IMG_6488.thumb.jpg.0b12f2f4c48fb5e19a77c8d467b7f271.jpg

More close ups. If it's dandruff, you can see I have a lot of it and no idea how to get rid of it.

I have This white build up Also, but not as much as you.

I had a HT 1,5 yrs ago and my first one like 3 years ago

I Think that its sebum build up.

When i wash my scalp i Can scratch it off with my nails, but often hairs Shed along with it, so im affraid to scratch it of.

Thank you. I ended up going with Dr Humayun Mohmand (Pakistan).

kryptonitekrunch,

Just curious why you chose a doctor in Pakistan? I also live in Canada and l had never considered Pakistan for a HT.

Also, do you have any pre-op photos that you are willing to share?

Thanks.

kryptonitekrunch,

Just curious why you chose a doctor in Pakistan? I also live in Canada and l had never considered Pakistan for a HT.

Also, do you have any pre-op photos that you are willing to share?

Thanks.

Ther are a few reasons why I chose Dr Hamayun. First off, he is recommended here and he's the only surgeon from Pakistan that's recommended on this forum. I did quite a bit of research and spoke to quite a few doctors/their assistants and I was totally satisfied by Shahid's (their assistant) knowledge and the way they answered my questions. My correspondence went for over a year and I had to reschedule my appointment a few times but they were really patient with me. I like the fact that he set realistic expectations for me and their results seemed pretty good as well. I watched a few interviews of Dr Hamayun, his lectures in the U.K. and how he's really focused over the angles and how the hairline should look natural.

I will start a thread with my pre/post pictures, monthly progress etc. will probably have to do it next week though. I'll post the link here once done.