Strip scaring: Can two become one?

This is my first time posting here.

I'm a 25yo NW3A medical (non-hair) practitioner considering a HT in the coming years.

One question I haven't seen discussed regarding donor scaring is can you have multiple strip procedures using the same scar?

Logically, if you were to have a small strip session on a virgin scalp (say 1500 FU) and later down the track wanted another session (say another 2000 FU) the doctor could excise donor from around the exising scar and close. That way, you would still only have one donor scar, albeit it may be lengthened. Is this what is usually done? Or do people who have three strip procedures end up with 3 sepearate scars? I imagine scalp laxity has some part to play in this. Would you have to return to your original HT doctor to use your "old" scare?

This would make a differnce to someone like myself who currently would only need a small number of grafts (say 1000 or 1500 max). If i was to have to have seperate scars for each procedure I would probably wait until i'm a NW4 or 5 and go for a megasession.

What experience do people have with this?

This is my first time posting here.

I'm a 25yo NW3A medical (non-hair) practitioner considering a HT in the coming years.

One question I haven't seen discussed regarding donor scaring is can you have multiple strip procedures using the same scar?

Logically, if you were to have a small strip session on a virgin scalp (say 1500 FU) and later down the track wanted another session (say another 2000 FU) the doctor could excise donor from around the exising scar and close. That way, you would still only have one donor scar, albeit it may be lengthened. Is this what is usually done? Or do people who have three strip procedures end up with 3 sepearate scars? I imagine scalp laxity has some part to play in this. Would you have to return to your original HT doctor to use your "old" scare?

This would make a differnce to someone like myself who currently would only need a small number of grafts (say 1000 or 1500 max). If i was to have to have seperate scars for each procedure I would probably wait until i'm a NW4 or 5 and go for a megasession.

What experience do people have with this?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>can you have multiple strip procedures using the same scar?

Yes. (What Smoothy said.)

Another approach I've seen recommended is to take a strip from one side, then later from the other side (basically connecting them as much as possible in the middle).

What you don't want is to take strips 'stacked' in a vertical column. You want one scar, that may be long (or short) but not multiple scars one on top of another like this:

-------------

-------------

-------------

Yes...as the guys mentioned, using the same scar to open and close is standard of care.

The bonus for some guys who have a large scar from their 1st procedure (bad doc, technique, etc) is that apart from the transplant, they get a scar revision too(assuming they go to a skilled doc).

I agree with the others here, you want only 1 scar if you go the strip route.

Unfortunately I have a fairly wide scar from my first strip and my skin is too tight to have it revised. Strip is no longer in my dictionary.

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

Take the advice from these experiences. You shouldnt have a problem of consolidating scars, given enough recovery time. I myself, have mutliple scars- stacked- that now after 15 years is starting to give me problems which I will have corrected/consolidated at the end of the year with a final HT.