One major FUE advantage

Guys, whilst I underwent an FUT procedure 6 months ago and am waiting for things to grow in and thicken I can't help but think FUE would have been much easier to manage whilst he hair grows in and in general when hair grows and matures.

Naturally transplanted hair is not as thick as native hair, when anyone's hair is thinning out or thin in general it looks so much better when the sides and back are shaved tight to a number 1 or 2 guard.

A problem I am experiencing is my hair on top is thin at the stage in areas and I'd love to be able to shave down to number 1 or 2 around sides and back. The FUT scar will only allow me to shave to number 4 at the lowest. This makes things look to the average person like I'm trying to hang onto my hair to the last minute rather than giving into the battle and buzzing it all off.

Copy and paste of what I wrote in your other post:

FUE when done by an elite surgeon can be a better experience overall especially when it comes to the post-op healing phase in the donor and especially reduced downtime if you lift or do strenuous exercise.

However as you are a stated NW 4A on your profile, you did the right thing with going with FUT first to maximize your lifetime donor supply. So don't second guess yourself too much.

You can always have smaller FUE procedures for touchups along the way subsequently.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

The guy who cuts my hair had his first look at my FUT scar a few days ago. (I had FUT two weeks ago.) He thinks I will ultimately be able to cut at a #2 and not have a problem. I am very hopeful.

I needed FUT to maximize donor hair.

My HT Journey

The FUT surgery experience and results

Disguising my FUT Scar

Medications and Supplements

Supplements: Biotin, MSM

5% Minoxidil Foam

Regenepure Shampoo (re-starting 1mo after HT)

The guy who cuts my hair had his first look at my FUT scar a few days ago. (I had FUT two weeks ago.) He thinks I will ultimately be able to cut at a #2 and not have a problem. I am very hopeful.

I needed FUT to maximize donor hair.

If you followed your surgeon's post op directions, have cooperative physiology, and the surgeon performed a competent trichophytic closure, then the only way a scar is likely to ever be discerned is if you're looking for it or shave it bald.

A 2 or 3 is do able (for people that meet the above criteria) around a year or so after their procedure...at least in my experience, I've never had a barber say I have a scar and mine is clueless I've had THREE hair transplants, all of them FUT.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Currently I can clip mine at 4 guard, tried 3 but you can see scalp at 3 because I have dark hair and white scalp. It might be different with lighter hair colours. My scar is probably 3 mm wide so it's pretty damn good.

It's a big compromise I guess because I had 4500 grafts so FUT is most likely going to be more successful in such a large procedure. FUE at 4500 grafts would have destroyed my donor site. It would be a relief to be able to shave to a number 2 guard to make the top looks 100 times better as it grows in.