Baldness Due to Radiation Treatment

I have a bald patch approximately 2"x2" on the bottom-right-hand side of the back of my neck. The hair loss is due to radiation treatment I received on my neck in 1982. I am investigating whether FUE will be able to fill this patch in, and whether the success of FUE is even possible on an area in which all hair follicles were permanently destroyed due to radiation treatment. If someone is able to determine ahead of time that FUE will not be successful in a case such as mine, this will save everyone the time and effort of an unnecessary consultation. If success is possible, I am interested in a consultation at the Seager Hair Transplant Centre in the Yorkville area of Toronto, Ontario.

We have done 4 of these, and as I've posted, I did them not only to help the patient, but also thinking I'd need to do this for my daughter who had XRT as well. Fortunately Julia didn't need hair work, but these are hugely gratifying cases for me.

Dr. Seager does good work. If you want to visit me to I'm extremely motivated to help situations like yours.

Good luck either way.

Dr., Lindsey

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thank you for responding.

So it is possible for transplanted hair to grow in a bald, radiated area, even if that area has been bald for over 30 years?

I see you live in Virginia. I would have to stick close to home (Toronto), as the cost of getting it done in the US would be prohibitive, especially with the poor exchange rate.

We have done 4 of these, and as I've posted, I did them not only to help the patient, but also thinking I'd need to do this for my daughter who had XRT as well. Fortunately Julia didn't need hair work, but these are hugely gratifying cases for me.

Dr. Seager does good work. If you want to visit me to I'm extremely motivated to help situations like yours.

Good luck either way.

Dr., Lindsey

Forgive my ignorance if I misspeak, but I thought that Dr. Seager was now deceased and that other physicians were at the helm of his former practice?

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

I thought I heard the same thing Speegs.

homersimpson,

As long as there is a blood supply in the bald area, new follicle bearing grafts should grow in the area.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Please let us the feedback as I am curious as well, thanks...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY