Dr. Scott Alexander - 2600 FUT Experience

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to provide some detail about my recent HT with Dr. Alexander:

Surgery occurred on 2/17 utilizing the strip method and grafting 2600 to my frontal hairline.

The procedure was painless and executed in one day. I performed my research both for surgeon selection and preparations/decision making utilizing the resources on this forum along with other online sources.

A few call-outs that helped me in preparation:

-Utilized Spex's instructions on pre and post op care (http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185763-run-up-hair-transplant-surgery.html)

-Ensured I filled my prescription ahead of the surgery to ensure reduced pain and comfort on the first night.

-Witch Hazel and coconut oil worked for me while aloe did not. Aloe left a layer of sticky residue which was difficult to rinse gently.

-Crusting formed quickly (first 3 days) and broke up quickly. Worked wonders to softly remove after warm shower.

My current progress point is that I am actually undergoing the shedding phase pretty early. Recipient area is flaking slightly and breaking off the follicles. Now starts the waiting game. Spex should be able to post the before/after pictures for the procedure.

Let me know if you have questions. Thanks!

-Witch Hazel and coconut oil worked for me while aloe did not. Aloe left a layer of sticky residue which was difficult to rinse gently.

What were you using the witch hazel for?

It's typically used post-op for reducing redness but be careful not to use until around 10 days post-op.

Also "aloe" products often contain alcohol unless you're using 100% pure from the plant, so also be careful of applying the former mentioned variants early on post-op.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

What were you using the witch hazel for?

It's typically used post-op for reducing redness but be careful not to use until around 10 days post-op.

Once the crust had fallen off I used witch hazel on the donor and recipient areas to help reduce redness and aid in healing. Just padded it lightly. The aloe I tried using was the standard aloe vera from Banana Boat.

Did Dr. Alexander instruct you to use the witch hazel in the recipient area as well as the Banana Boat aloe gel? (search shows it does contain alcohol)

I would be careful with these in the recipient area especially in the early days post-op.

Also, people who recommend using "aloe" should add the disclaimer to use the 100% pure form or not to use it.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

No the recommendations were from comments and posts on these forums. The witch hazel has no alcohol and I only used the aloe vera one time and didnt like the reaction so I stopped it completely. You are right to call caution on the aloe since it is hard to notice true impact since the areas are numb.

How bad was the crusting/flaking? I saw Dr. Alexander five days after you for my procedure. I woke up this morning, Day 8, and my recipient area was entirely encrusted. I didn't expect this extensive. I have assumed that it is normal, but it is making me uneasy. I applied aloe gel yesterday as the crusting started, but after speaking with Spex I immediately stopped it.

How extensive was your crusting/flaking scalp in the recipient area? I'd post a pic but it's pretty brutal!

My HT Journey

The FUT surgery experience and results

Disguising my FUT Scar

Medications and Supplements

Supplements: Biotin, MSM

5% Minoxidil Foam

Regenepure Shampoo (re-starting 1mo after HT)

Afterparty,

I like your name. Now that you've undergone hair transplant surgery with an excellent hair surgeon, perhaps it's almost time to throw that after party...right? Well, perhaps we should wait until the result grows in, but you're on the road to a new head of hair.

We'd love to see some pictures when you have a chance :-)

Best wishes

Bill

How bad was the crusting/flaking? I saw Dr. Alexander five days after you for my procedure. I woke up this morning, Day 8, and my recipient area was entirely encrusted. I didn't expect this extensive. I have assumed that it is normal, but it is making me uneasy. I applied aloe gel yesterday as the crusting started, but after speaking with Spex I immediately stopped it.

How extensive was your crusting/flaking scalp in the recipient area? I'd post a pic but it's pretty brutal!

I experienced the same layer of crusting over the recipient area, but mine was on day 3-4. I actually was at first cautious not to touch it since I didnt know if it was scabbing or crusting. Day 4-5 I would softly remove crusting post wash. Washing with the warm water softens the crust making it easier to remove. The part that made me feel comfortable that it was just a crust layer was when I saw all the hairs under it. I believe many people on this forum recommend gently removing the crust to avoid dryness and cracking.

Afterparty,

I like your name. Now that you've undergone hair transplant surgery with an excellent hair surgeon, perhaps it's almost time to throw that after party...right? Well, perhaps we should wait until the result grows in, but you're on the road to a new head of hair.

We'd love to see some pictures when you have a chance :-)

Best wishes

Bill

Thanks! I'll be returning back to work soon and currently want the growth to go into overdrive. One thing I'm surprised about is how quickly my numbness is dissipating.

Thank you. Please keep us updated on status. Your progress will prepare me for what's next. ;)

How do you feel about your linear scar? My stitches came out yesterday and it looks quite good. I'm eager to see if I can cut at a #2 razor and not be visible.

My HT Journey

Disguising my FUT Scar

5% Minoxidil Foam

Not sure about the scar yet. They had to cut my hair in the back a bit since I have fine hair that wouldnt keep tied up when they were removing the strip. It feels much better with the sutures removed and I hope it continues to heal well.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, Afterparty, you weren't kidding about our similarity! Same doctor 5-days apart, same transplant region, nearly the same graft count, and extremely similar hair color/fineness. It'll be fun to compare our results!

Spex, thanks for the pictures! I am a little surprised that Dr. Alexander transplanted around the front patch. He is the expert though and knows best.

My HT Journey

Disguising my FUT Scar

5% Minoxidil Foam

Wow, Afterparty, you weren't kidding about our similarity! Same doctor 5-days apart, same transplant region, nearly the same graft count, and extremely similar hair color/fineness. It'll be fun to compare our results!

Spex, thanks for the pictures! I am a little surprised that Dr. Alexander transplanted around the front patch. He is the expert though and knows best.

Hey Slush, there's a pretty good chance Dr. Alexander transplanted into the patch as well, especially if it is/was miniaturizing. And quite often the frontal tuft IS miniaturizing - it certainly was in my case

To the OP, good luck!! You're in good hands with Dr. Alexander and Spex

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)