Graft Numbers

To be honest, you appear to be a norwood 2, which most people are very content to live with and even undergo surgery to become!

Are you on finasteride? I can't tell if you have any thinning beyond a slight recession of the temples.

If you don't mind the question, what is your age? Some of that recession may simply be the natural product of a mature hairline, something most men see happen once they're reached adult maturity sometime in their mid to late 20s.

I'd be slow to act on a hair transplant at this time, especially if you've yet to try finasteride.

Your hair loss in minimal, and depending on your age, your hairline may be age appropriate.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Thanks man, I really appreciate the advice!

I'm currently 27 turning 28 this May so unfortunately I'm coming to the latter end of my 20s ha!

I guess most wouldn't suspect I'm losing some but I'm sure we can all attest we become obsessive once we first notice that initial reccession.

I'm not on Fin, I've read too manh negative reviews on it. I'm suffering slightly with my health so I don't think I'm willing to risk things spiralling out of control.

I'm looking for a rough estimate in terms of grafts based upon what the situation currently stand at, this way as it proceeds I can keep tracks and then capatilise at the right time.

I'm not looking for a straight hairline, I've never had one. I'd be a bit more conservative than most based upon what my situation was like prior to receding. I have a line in my head essentially in which the hair grows in a sideways direction, I've neverhad the perfect hairline - I suppose it's a cows lick.

I have very fine hair and it lays flag which somewhat enables me to cover things up to some extent.

The advice is greatly appreciated guys, thank you!

You are of age that you can consider a transplant, but I wouldn't deem it dire. I'd set up some consults with some doctors you pick out and see what they say.

I had more advanced hair loss at 26, looked like Jude Law, and started my transplant journey.

I'm 33 now and have had three to get that frontal third looking right.

As for finasteride, I'd discuss it with your primary physician or a dermatologist, the horror stories you hear are by and large bunk spread on the internet.

Young men scarcely have side effects from them, and all the known side effects are reversed by simply discontinuing the treatment.

I am someone insistent on giving finsateride a try because without it, if you do have male pattern hair loss, it will become progressively worse and make a transplant to the temples a bit of a lost cause.

I have fine hair too, so let me know if you have any questions, i know what it's like to be 20 something and insecure about the appearance of your hair...but i also know you need to be careful and deliberate about the surgical route, in the right hands you'll never regret it, in the wrong hands you'll be frustrated and embarrassed by the outcome.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

You would need to draw in the area with a colored pencil where you want the grafts to commence and also, "How coarse is your hair?"

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks man, I really appreciate your help.

My loss seems to have been relatively slow over the past 3/4 years - I was made aware of it and saw the initial recession, from that day forward I've focusing on not much else in terms of my appearance,

I not adverse to trying finasteride, maybe I'm just over optimistic about future treatments that looks to be on the horizon - maybe it is something I should look into.

Thanks man, you're a great help. Ias I say I'm not looking for Norwood 1 territory, I'm just looking to close the gap on my temples. My temples on the side have went back slightly and based upon my precious hairline you can see it. I'd be looking to close in front the end point of my recession on my hairline, what do you think that would require in terms of graft numbers? I understand doctors set their own rates but based on an estimate what would you imagine it would cost in terms of cases you've seen previously?

My hair is extremely fine man, I guess it would work reasonably well in my case as I've always been thinning sh around the hairline, a transplant would probably make me look better than before .

Cheers guys

Jay,

I think you have some very reasonable goals. And to answer your question in terms of numbers, you're probably looking at 2,000 - 2,500 grafts easily. Please allow me to explain.

If you have a fine texture to your hair and the added fact that you have a wide hair color to complexion contrast, it will take more grafts.

To fill in the temple point recession and also to strengthen your hairline with definition only (meaning, not to lower it but to simply fill in the bare spots and define the commencement of the hair line).

Many single hair grafts would be needed and that in itself will raise the graft count overall.

If you go with FUHT, the average cost per graft is roughly $4.00 and if you elect FUE, the cost is on average $8.00 per graft.

What does your crown look like?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hey Jay 2017,

you're like me when I hit 30, in fact your hair looks like mine did pre-op, have a look at the post I put up - make sure and plan ANY work you get done with a view to what it could look like 10 or even 20 years later. Make sure you go to a good surgeon. You might want to hang off on the transplant just now until you can see if there any ways which could keep your hair as is, until you get a handle on how fast your hair is going to recede in future.

Have you thought about what happens if and when you start to recede at the crown? I got 600 grafts first time around and they served me great for 10 years, but now they're becoming noticeable to the trained aye, and it's really stressing me out to think I'll recede way more and have to get them extracted or more work done - and I have to keep it all secret. In hindsight I probably would've just shaved my head.

If you're cool with all that and have a plan for further loss then go for it - just be sure to thoroughly research first :-)

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

I have attached some further photo's which may show the extent of the loss. It's strange to look back at 27 years of age and realize I've never had a solid hairline. I turn 28 in 2 weeks so I'm just looking at how things are progressing...

Even my sister has the same type of temporal recession but obviously not to the extent of mine. I've never had a straight hairline in my life and honestly would want to be very conservative in terms of a restoration plan. I like the 'slightly receedded look' my head shape would not look good with a straight hairline. As you can see from the photos in which my hair is pulled back I actually have a cows lick, the direction of my hair falls completely different to the rest of my hairline.

As I mentioned I do have very fine hair, especially on the top of my scalp - the back of my head albeit still thin seems to be a little more coarse and dense, I always notice a discrepancy when I have washed my hair.

I've always been very fine in the temporal regions, so I'm not expecting crazy density if I were to go ahead - I'd just want to restore some hair. I generally wear it like a Cesar cut, I don't do all the elaborate pomades etc - so as mentioned I'd just be looking to fill the areas a bit more than the presently are.

I have attempted to draw on them with an iPhone app but the acuity is poor...

Any estimations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jay

image.jpg.9fbcb45e5f0934ed345b50709f7b9054.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.8e9cb043871bb23a349f797f5825bf87.jpeg