Frontal Alopecia after Repeated Botulinum Toxin Type A Injections for Forehead Wrinkl

Hair2012

Hi, I just came across this article (see link) and was wondering if anyone has heard or experienced this ?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5096242/

Is it reversible (non-scarring) or permanent (scarring)? If you stop the botox does the hair come back, if so how long does it take ?

Is it preventable i.e. if you use a lower dose of botox or avoid injecting close to the hairline ?

Are there any treatment modalities ? i.e. minoxidil 5%, PRP, Lasercomb, finasteride…..etc ?

Any thoughts or comments ?

Very interesting. I have received multiple botox injections over the years on the forehead. My hair loss is strictly at the hairline/recession. Can't say that I've ever thought the two might be related.

For what it's worth, I think I first suspected some recession when I was around 26/27 - but I was never quite sure, and even to this day am not sure when I look at older photos - maybe just had a high hairline to begin with. In any case, didn't first try botox until I was 29 or 30.

This article was recently published in 2016. I did a Google search and the topic comes up in discussion forums.

The last thing you want is to create another problem (hairline recession) while fixing one (forehead wrinkles).

Anyone out there with knowledge on how to approach this and if its reversible if you stop the botox ?

I forwarded it to my botox doc.

The thing is, sooooooo many women have done botox, I'm inclined to believe it can't really be that much of an impact - unless perhaps one is already prone to alopecia MAYBE? I mean, really, I'm the only guy at the annual party the doc throws for all her clients and potential clients, and I'm sure the # 1 procedure they all get is botox.

It's worth keeping in mind, but I'm not tooooooo worried about it...knock on wood.

Harryforreal, let me know what he says. I had some grafts transplanted in the hairline area and it has been stable for 20+ years and it started receding in the last year or so. So I am wondering if

1) its the botox as the article indicates BIFA

2) or the transplanted hair that is thinning out over time (senescent alopecia).