Video Dr. Lindsey shows 2 FUE cases, thin and fat hair

In this video, I show a fine hair FUE in a guy with really weak hair that we've done before successfully...and know that his weak hairs grow reasonably well with FUE extraction. Compare that to a younger black guy's robust donor hair which OUGHT to grow even better. The cases were done last week so next Thanksgiving I hope to update this story. Now I'd put my money on the thicker hairs growing better, but U in FUE means unpredictable.

In any case, this adds to the basic education prospective patients should know before they sign up for surgery.

The video is:

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

(I have several related videos that I've posted on the forums that also would provide the newbie with useful information)

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hi dr Lindsey , can you please take a quick look at this video of a fue case with fine hair . It' would seem this doctor and many others are able to work with fine hair and still get great results ? I ask as I have fine hair 40-50 microns and I am looking to having a fue procedure and none of the surgeons have expressed any concerns about fine hair etc ??

Thank you

Great footage. It really illustrates the difference between the two cases. Not only with respect to the thickness and resilience of the follicular units, but also the difference in their skin and how this can relate to deformation when scoring the grafts and difficultly of delivery. From the footage, it looks like one patient has pretty "stiff," rigid, inelastic skin, while the other has much more stretch and redundant tissue. This, in my opinion, plays a role in FUE ease as well.

How was the scoring with the African American patient? I know the "J" or "C" shape of the follicular units in these patients frequently makes scoring without transection challenging.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi dr Lindsey , can you please take a quick look at this video of a fue case with fine hair . It' would seem this doctor and many others are able to work with fine hair and still get great results ? I ask as I have fine hair 40-50 microns and I am looking to having a fue procedure and none of the surgeons have expressed any concerns about fine hair etc ??

Thank you

Is there a micron breakdown for that patient? The video claims his hair shaft diameter is "fine/medium," but his hair shafts look quite coarse and fat in the results combthrough. I'm wondering if they are considering his hair "fine/medium" with respect to the clinic's general patient population? Patients with Spanish/Latino/Hispanic heritage tend to have amazingly thick, coarse hairs. So it may be finer compared to average here, but I don't think many would consider his hair "fine" based on that combthrough.

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Is there a micron breakdown for that patient? The video claims his hair shaft diameter is "fine/medium," but his hair shafts look quite coarse and fat in the results combthrough. I'm wondering if they are considering his hair "fine/medium" with respect to the clinic's general patient population? Patients with Spanish/Latino/Hispanic heritage tend to have amazingly thick, coarse hairs. So it may be finer compared to average here, but I don't think many would consider his hair "fine" based on that combthrough.

Hi dr bloxham , thanks for your input I don't see a micron breakdown but comparing it to other cases where the micron value is stated I'm totally guessing but I wouldn't put it above 45-50 microns ? If you pause and look at the temporal areas you can see the scalp so definitely not a man with thick hair but probably lots of hair if you get what I mean .

I have similar characteristics so it really grabbed my attention the result that was achieved with shall we say 'medium' thickness hair ;)

Either way it appears a stunning result for both doc and patient . Is this doctor known in the USA? Apparently he trained with dr cole but I can't seem to find out much more about him ? If you can find any info on him I would be greatly appreciative.

Sorry for hijacking your thread dr Lindsey I would still love to know your opinion on this fine/medium haired man ?

Thanks in advance

IMG_5829.jpg.68737c784752202faa3f8b4c217e9b6d.jpg

Here's another Spanish dr performing on a find haired presumably Hispanic patient , they seem to have a knack for getting great coverage with quite small amounts of grafts which makes me think it might be something these guys are using ? Both are using implanter pens , are they getting extremely high regrowth due to less graft handling and the grafts being outbid the head for a very short time ??

Wibbles,

I wish the videos had micron break downs, because I still wouldn't personally classify these guys as having "fine" hair. Maybe finer than the average Hispanic patient, but I still would not have personally said this gentleman has fine hair if he walked through my door for a consult. Maybe others would disagree, and I don't want to purposely disagree just for the sake of arguing or anything like that; just my "two cents."

I've never personally bought the argument -- or seen any convincing evidence -- that implanter pens increase yield in FUE procedures. I understand the theory behind why some feel this way, but I think you can easily argue that the amount of handling is very comparable overall, and there are also new potential compression forces introduced with the implantation. I'd also like to see guarantees that the inside of the needle itself was free of of any jagged areas that could damage the grafts as they are pulled into the bore, especially after repeated use. I attached some microscopic images to explain what I mean.

495_500px.jpg

needle-deterioration.jpg

You could make an argument for less out of body time for the skeletonized grafts. But to be honest, I think most of the difference in yield for FUE procedures comes from the stress and strain of the extraction process itself. You can use special devices to place the grafts back in, or transplant them as quickly as you want ... but it won't make much difference if the graft was already permanently damaged during the extraction process.

Again, not trying to incite a war here nor do I want to detract from Dr Lindsey's thread!

Hi doc , thanks again for your informed reply ! What kind of figure do you call fine hair ? I ask as I have been measured at 40 microns on the sides and 50 in the occipital. Do you think I would be classed as fine Or medium caliber ? Out of interest I sent a reply regards dr couto but for some reason it has been sent for moderators approval ??

No problem. I've seen a variety of different scales used to classify based on micron diameter. But I would say 40-50 puts you in the middle of "fine" and "medium." You would probably be a fine-medium -- kind of like a medium cooked steak can be "medium rare" if it's closer to the rare side -- based on most models I've seen.

Yea that makes sense ... kind of wish I was well done though ;)

That actually made me "laugh out loud." Well played.

And I'm sure you'll do just fine. Best of luck on the procedure when you do "take the plunge."

Blake did a great job of real doctor talk explaining this. As a farmer...I'd refer Wibbles to my plant video. You'll see fine and fat plants getting "fue'd" half way through.

HT is just fancy agriculture. That's probably why I like it.

Dr. Lindsey

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I've always liked your "farm talk" better anyways! Much more interesting to listen to. And the actual farming videos are an added bonus!