Breeding while on Propecia

MyPrecious

MyPrecious,

I have never heard of any birth defects as a result of the father taking Propecia or Proscar. Quite the contrary, there have been a few members on this forum that have posted that they had fathered healthy children while taking the medication. If there was a possibility of birth defects from taking the medication I think that there would have to be warnings all over the medication. From the medication supplemental readings that I have seen on both medications and the websites, however, there is none.

There is, however, a caution with both products that women that are pregnant or in all likelihood become pregnant should NOT handle the broken pills. To be "better safe than sorry" I would not allow any female to handle them at all.

From the Propecia website:

"A warning about PROPECIA and pregnancy.

Women who are or may potentially be pregnant: ??“ must not use PROPECIA

??“ should not handle crushed or broken tablets of PROPECIA.

If a woman who is pregnant with a male baby absorbs the active ingredient in PROPECIA, either by swallowing or through the skin, it may cause abnormalities of a male baby's sex organs. If a woman who is pregnant comes into contact with the active ingredient in PROPECIA, a doctor should be consulted. PROPECIA tablets are coated and will prevent contact with the active ingredient during normal handling, provided that the tablets are not broken or crushed."

For more information on Propecia and other hair loss medications go here.

Hope this helps.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Merck's controlled clinical trials utilized the use of rhesus monkeys to determine the "in utero" effects of finasteride exposure during the period of embryonic and fetal development, (gestation days 20-100). The rhesus monkey is considered a species more predictive of human development than rats or rabbits.

Merck administered finasteride intravenously to pregnant monkeys at doses as high as 800 ng/day considered at least 750 times the highest estimated exposure of pregnant women to finasteride from semen of men taking 1 mg/day. The results were no abnormalities in male fetuses.

To confirm the relevance of the rhesus monkey model for human fetal development, oral administration of a very high dose of finasteride (2mg/kg/day) was applied to pregnant monkeys. This is considered to be approximately "12 million" times the highest estimated exposure to finasteride from semen in men taking 1mg/day. This was the only example of oral administration provided by Merck and they did observe external genital abnormalities in male fetuses at that level of gestation. No finasteride related abnormalities were observed in female fetuses at any dose.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

From experience there is no problem with procreation and propecia. If you want to be 100% sure, stop propecia while your trying to conceive then start again after conception. I did this on my 2nd child and it worked fine. You will not start loosing hair until after 3 months off of propecia. Then just start it back every other day.

I've done both- stayed on it and stopped/every other day--and both times I didnt have any problems with the child.

Forlife,

The inhibition period of finasteride administered orally is approximately three months. It then serves as a specific hormone inhibitor manifesting full efficiency potential in 12-18 months. So you really will not be able to notice anything visually for at least three months. Best wishes to you.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

bald,

I don't think that is necessarily the case. You see, the "half-life" of the drug is long enough that the active ingredient stays in your system for a few days but no longer than that. I do know, however, that users that are new to Finasteride can usually see results from a half-dose (.5 g) for at least a while. However, if you are currently taking 1g (or 1.25 g for Proscar) daily, then I would think it would be a gamble to cut that dose in half.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog