Donor area density after FUT

I have noticed that after several FUT surgeries that the density above the scar line looks almost the same as before HT and the density just below the scar line is much thinner.

It's more obvious to see this after my donor area was shaved , you see two distinct zones of density below and above the scar line

Is it normal ?

It is normal for the density around the scar to be reduced slightly depending on the width of the strip taken and the stretch involved. After multiple sessions it will become more apparent.

Senior Patient Advisor for Dr Edward Ball of The Maitland Clinic.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Maitland Clinic.

Formerly Garageland of Hasson & Wong with 20 years of history in Hair Restoration.

Meet with myself for a free consultation and advice in London on June 21st 2018.

It is normal for the density around the scar to be reduced slightly depending on the width of the strip taken and the stretch involved. After multiple sessions it will become more apparent.

But in my case only the area below the scar is affected and not just around the scar , the whole area below. The area above the scar isn't much affected

How many surgeries have you had, one was with Dr Wong but the first FUT was with another Doctor?

There needs to be a good density of hair above the scar to be able to conceal it better so I expect you have been left better margins of hair quality above this would have been a deliberate decision. The position of the first scar will have a bearing on what the quality of the hair that you have left under your scar is like.

Senior Patient Advisor for Dr Edward Ball of The Maitland Clinic.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Maitland Clinic.

Formerly Garageland of Hasson & Wong with 20 years of history in Hair Restoration.

Meet with myself for a free consultation and advice in London on June 21st 2018.

Probably has to do with hair caliber and stuff.

The hair above my scar just continues into thick normal hair, but below the scar shortly fades away into sort of finer nape hair, which would be more noticeably thinner as it was thinner to begin with.

Maybe stretching them closer together shrinks the gap between the donor and nape, and makes it more noticable

Ok this is a picture of the scar taken today 12 days after my second surgery with Dr Wong, just after I removed the staples. My head was shaved before surgery

As you can see there's a density contrast between the areas below and above the scar.

Is it expected?

IMG_20161116_140245.thumb.jpg.47fdbba42defebd3b9659d5238fe048c.jpg

Thinner hair around the ears is normal and it seems to correct itself under the scar at the back of your head.

Maybe it's a coincidence?

But why is it thicker just above the scar, only below the scar the whole area is thinner?

I had 9000+ grafts in multiple surgeries.

I think it was like that also before my last surgery. Only when they shaved my donor area two weeks ago I realized this contrast in density below and above the scar. Why I'm having two distinct zones of density ?

• Moderators
But why is it thicker just above the scar, only below the scar the whole area is thinner?

I had 9000+ grafts in multiple surgeries.

I think it was like that also before my last surgery. Only when they shaved my donor area two weeks ago I realized this contrast in density below and above the scar. Why I'm having two distinct zones of density ?

It used to fade from thick donor above to thinner donor below which is normal, but after several surgeries and over 9000 grafts, you removed all of the middle area where it would have been fading to thin, so now there's an abrupt change.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

How many surgeries have you had, one was with Dr Wong but the first FUT was with another Doctor?

There needs to be a good density of hair above the scar to be able to conceal it better so I expect you have been left better margins of hair quality above this would have been a deliberate decision. The position of the first scar will have a bearing on what the quality of the hair that you have left under your scar is like.

I was left with a big scar with the other doctor, but Dr Wong repaired the scar by removing scar tissue from previous surgery. Now I have a smaller scar. I'm just wondering if it's common to have a density contrast between the areas above and below the scar as you can see in the photo.

IMG_20161116_140245.thumb.jpg.e1d0865310ab30601db0696b096f8b6f.jpg