Upcoming Hair Transplant

I have benefited a lot from this forum by reading the material on different topics. I am scheduled for an FUT Hair Transplant procedure in about 10 days. I have a few questions and would appreciate some guidance.

I am a bit anxious about the pain during and after the procedure. Most people say the pain is minimal but every now and then I read some that say they were in very high pain after the procedure for the first couple of nights. Just wondering what to expect.

How common are adverse reactions to local anesthesia? I have not had local anesthesia almost ever except for once when I suffered a fracture in my finger. That was very minor but a procedure of this intensity makes me a bit anxious. Your responses will be much appreciated.

I have benefited a lot from this forum by reading the material on different topics. I am scheduled for an FUT Hair Transplant procedure in about 10 days. I have a few questions and would appreciate some guidance.

I am a bit anxious about the pain during and after the procedure. Most people say the pain is minimal but every now and then I read some that say they were in very high pain after the procedure for the first couple of nights. Just wondering what to expect.

How common are adverse reactions to local anesthesia? I have not had local anesthesia almost ever except for once when I suffered a fracture in my finger. That was very minor but a procedure of this intensity makes me a bit anxious. Your responses will be much appreciated.

Hi Xt22. I had similar questions and worries. Firstly, I had FUE not FUT so things will be a little different, but beyond numbing up the donor area initially it shouldn't experience very high pain. When they do the implanting, my tip would be to ask them to numb it again if you start feeling some discomfort. Mine started to wear off in areas and at first I just suffered a little no wanting to make a fuss. In hide sight I should have just spoken up.

In terms of the local anesthesia, I wouldn't worry, I think bad reactions are quite rare and you since you had no reaction when you had one for a fractured finger I'd say you will be fine.

Post surgery pain wasn't too bad. I think it was actually around day 5 before I experienced anything. Again it wasn't really bad pain, probably a 5 (out of 10) at times, but it was adhoc pain not constant and some painkillers seems to do the job.

Edited by JustJax

JustJax..Thanks for responding. That's good to hear. I know that I have to be extremely careful the first few nights not to damage the transplanted hair . Are there some things that are suggested besides sleeping in 45 degree position. I read somewhere that someone slept with gloves so they would not scratch the head by mistake in sleep..are there simple things I can do that would safeguard the hair? I got myself a neck and a back support pillow.

JustJax..Thanks for responding. That's good to hear. I know that I have to be extremely careful the first few nights not to damage the transplanted hair . Are there some things that are suggested besides sleeping in 45 degree position. I read somewhere that someone slept with gloves so they would not scratch the head by mistake in sleep..are there simple things I can do that would safeguard the hair? I got myself a neck and a back support pillow.

I did cut my fingers nails tho that I wouldn't accidentally scratch myself but I wouldn't resort to gloves, that could in theory be worse as you might touch your head and not realise you've touched your grafts as your finger tips wouldnt feel the hair. Just be mindful, the hardest for me was resisting the urge to scratch. Main thing to focus on worry is sleeping at 45 degree angle for about 7-10 days and not to bend over (raises blood pressure in the head) for the first 3 or maybe its 5 days. Beyond that just follow the clinics guidelines and you'll be fine.

I think that being AWARE of the potential problems puts you ahead of the game. I will be totally honest, my biggest problem was not the pain - it was just getting relaxed so that I could sleep. But remember this, sleep comes, and every day is one day closer to your goal.

Yes, you need to sleep at a 45 degree angle for a few days but you adapt quickly and the pain is very very minimal. The anticipation is the hardest part. I was never in pain - the docs today have lovely drugs - just chill and realize we have all gone through it and we're alive to tell that tale!

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

The honest answer is people cope with the pain differently some patients think it is a relaxing day watching TV and have no issues. The pain I felt during the procedure was just the injections which are painful like a bee sting but are over in minutes. Some patients start to feel pain towards the end of a long procedure and need more numbing.

After surgery just make sure you take the painkillers, it will feel sore for the first few days around the scar so don't try to be brave. Having been through it 5 times I would not have concerns about going through it again if needed.

Senior Patient Advisor for Dr Edward Ball of The Maitland Clinic.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Maitland Clinic.

Formerly Garageland of Hasson & Wong with 20 years of history in Hair Restoration.

Meet with myself for a free consultation and advice in London on June 21st 2018.

. Mine started to wear off in areas and at first I just suffered a little no wanting to make a fuss. In hide sight I should have just spoken up.

Same happened to me but didn't want to ask for too much anesthesia, I was afraid it would cause a lot of swelling after surgery

Very helpful responses. I think I am beginning to get a much better sense of what to expect during and after the procedure. When you say that towards the end the numbing was wearing off, I was wondering what kind of pain or sensation you felt. Obviously it must have been tolerable or else you would have asked for more anesthesia is that right? If I experience the same as you did, would you suggest I alert the doctor right away or just put up with it as long as it is tolerable?

I was wondering what kind of pain or sensation you felt. Obviously it must have been tolerable or else you would have asked for more anesthesia is that right? If I experience the same as you did, would you suggest I alert the doctor right away or just put up with it as long as it is tolerable?

I had similar pain that David suggests some feel as the anesthesia wore off, its difficult to describe,its not a sharp pain, but a slight pain, around the 3-4 out of 10 mark. I should have just asked for a top up but was just trying to be brave. If I ever did it again, I would be sure to say something right away.