Can Dandruff harm my transplanted hairs + Use of Nizoral 3 weeks post op?

Hello everyone,

It is 3 weeks post op now and I have a very oily scalp along with dandruff. My donor area is also still red, although less than before, but still visible. I also think I have some shock loss in the donor area.

The doctor recommended the use of ketoconazole 2% once every 2 days. He's afraid that I might have dermatitis. (I am in a different country so his evaluation was based on images)

So just to have other opinions and advice, will the dandruff affect my transplanted hairs and is it safe to use nizoral 3 weeks post op?

Edited by Kalab23

Dandruff can't harm your transplants unless you let the buildup accumulate weeks or months without removing it, or if you were to pick at it when it's dry.

If your dandruff is caused by a yeast or fungus then the ketoconazole will kill it, but use the shampoo only as directed by your doctor and not for an extended period of time.

Also these keto shampoos are quite harsh and drying so use coconut oil etc. as mentioned above to counteract the drying effect.

It's important to keep the area moisturized, as the "dandruff" could just be dry skin or even scalp flaking and peeling from the trauma to the scalp of the surgery itself.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)