Ready for HT

heirlost

Hello everyone,

First off, thanks to all of you for contributing to this site. It's been a vast wealth of information for me.

I'm 34. Always had full (but fine) hair as a kid. I used to bleach my hair in my teen years, and first noticed that I was starting to lose it at about 20. I was told that the bleaching caused it and kind of believed this for a few years until I started doing research. Both my grandfather and father lost their hair, although I don't know at what age. I continued to watch it disappear for the next 2-3 years and have been wearing a hat ever since. I stopped losing hair about 4 years ago and I'm about NW5/6.

It's been a huge psychological strain on me, as I always loved my hair and having hair in general. Yes, I am ashamed to be bald and that shame has only gotten worse. I have good self-esteem except for this. I have absolutely no desire to shave my head and get on with my life. I don't like the bald look on myself, it really does not work for me. I never used hair drugs and I really don't want to start. I will be finishing school in a few months and at that time would like to get transplants done. Because of my obsessive research on every little thing in my life, I have done tons of research thus far and will continue until I schedule the operation. I want to know everything I can to make the best possible decision. Looking at prices in the US, I'm blown away. Americans seem to have this notion that we have the best of the world here in everything, including hair doctors. I've read hundreds of reviews and testimonies on this and other sites and am personally looking outside of the US. I just can't justify paying 3-4 times the amount just because it's in the US. Yes, I understand all the risks, but as far as I can tell, there's risks associated with everything, it's a matter of doing research and doing what's best for me in the end. I don't have an unlimited budget, but am willing to spend a good chunk to get my hair back. I love to travel and will use this trip as a vacation as well. I was originally looking into Turkey. There are some great doctors there but it seems to be a little riskier than other places like India, Poland, Hungary, Greece, or Belgium. I really don't care where I have to go to get the best doctor for the best price. India has some phenomenal doctors, in this field and others. One name that keeps popping up throughout my research across the web is Dr. Bhatti. I've watched his videos, read reviews, read articles he's written, and read many of your personal experiences. He's definitely on the top of my list.

My main concerns, in this order are: 1-Quality, 2-Price. Price is important, but not nearly as important as the doctor and procedure. I haven't had a consultation yet but will very soon, and will post my findings. I'm very excited about this. Just the thought of having most of my hair back is a great feeling. I will continue to do my research so I can make a decision by the spring.

Sorry for the long post!

Hi Heirlost,

Thanks for sharing. Thank you for your kind words regarding Dr. Bhatti's work.

I personally believe that you are on the right track when you say that you are researching and will continue researching before making your final decision regard your HT Surgeon.

Also, I agree with your views that although price is important but the quality of work is even more important.

Please know that if you need any help from our (Dr. Bhatti's Clinic) side, we are just an email away.

p.s Will be happy to share some tips with you regarding vacationing in India. It is a very interesting country and if you do go there, you have to visit the Taj Mahal!

I wish you all the best.

Regards,

California

DarlingBuds FUE's profile photo 

North America Representative and Patient Advisor for:
Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Hi California,

Thanks for the reply. While I'm still doing research, Dr. Bhatti is very high on my list. I am also very much looking forward to visiting India. It is a country and culture I have admire for a long time, and I am going to spend several additional days there.

I have some loose ends to tie up before I schedule my visit. I will be in touch soon.

Hello everyone,

First off, thanks to all of you for contributing to this site. It's been a vast wealth of information for me.

I'm 34. Always had full (but fine) hair as a kid. I used to bleach my hair in my teen years, and first noticed that I was starting to lose it at about 20. I was told that the bleaching caused it and kind of believed this for a few years until I started doing research. Both my grandfather and father lost their hair, although I don't know at what age. I continued to watch it disappear for the next 2-3 years and have been wearing a hat ever since. I stopped losing hair about 4 years ago and I'm about NW5/6.

It's been a huge psychological strain on me, as I always loved my hair and having hair in general. Yes, I am ashamed to be bald and that shame has only gotten worse. I have good self-esteem except for this. I have absolutely no desire to shave my head and get on with my life. I don't like the bald look on myself, it really does not work for me. I never used hair drugs and I really don't want to start. I will be finishing school in a few months and at that time would like to get transplants done. Because of my obsessive research on every little thing in my life, I have done tons of research thus far and will continue until I schedule the operation. I want to know everything I can to make the best possible decision. Looking at prices in the US, I'm blown away. Americans seem to have this notion that we have the best of the world here in everything, including hair doctors. I've read hundreds of reviews and testimonies on this and other sites and am personally looking outside of the US. I just can't justify paying 3-4 times the amount just because it's in the US. Yes, I understand all the risks, but as far as I can tell, there's risks associated with everything, it's a matter of doing research and doing what's best for me in the end. I don't have an unlimited budget, but am willing to spend a good chunk to get my hair back. I love to travel and will use this trip as a vacation as well. I was originally looking into Turkey. There are some great doctors there but it seems to be a little riskier than other places like India, Poland, Hungary, Greece, or Belgium. I really don't care where I have to go to get the best doctor for the best price. India has some phenomenal doctors, in this field and others. One name that keeps popping up throughout my research across the web is Dr. Bhatti. I've watched his videos, read reviews, read articles he's written, and read many of your personal experiences. He's definitely on the top of my list.

My main concerns, in this order are: 1-Quality, 2-Price. Price is important, but not nearly as important as the doctor and procedure. I haven't had a consultation yet but will very soon, and will post my findings. I'm very excited about this. Just the thought of having most of my hair back is a great feeling. I will continue to do my research so I can make a decision by the spring.

Sorry for the long post!

Welcome to the forum. Based on your message, you are on a good path to hair restoration. You should look at similar cases to what you would want in terms of goals and type of work. You will find that some clinics put in more effort to inform and have more compassion to help their patients benefit and achieve.

Thanks for sharing.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hi Heirlost,

Thanks for sharing. Thank you for your kind words regarding Dr. Bhatti's work.

I personally believe that you are on the right track when you say that you are researching and will continue researching before making your final decision regard your HT Surgeon.

Also, I agree with your views that although price is important but the quality of work is even more important.

Please know that if you need any help from our (Dr. Bhatti's Clinic) side, we are just an email away.

p.s Will be happy to share some tips with you regarding vacationing in India. It is a very interesting country and if you do go there, you have to visit the Taj Mahal!

I wish you all the best.

Regards,

California

If I come to India for the HT, it will be at the beginning of 3+ months backpacking around around Europe and possibly Asia. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this? I could stay for a week or two in India if necessary. I do not want to do anything to jeopardize the success of the hair transplant.

If I come to India for the HT, it will be at the beginning of 3+ months backpacking around around Europe and possibly Asia. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this? I could stay for a week or two in India if necessary. I do not want to do anything to jeopardize the success of the hair transplant.

Hi Heirlost,

Sounds like a lot of fun:)

Is there any way you can do the backpacking first and get the HT done towards the end of your trip. Going backpacking right after an HT procedure might not be advisable. Just my 2 cents.

Best regards,

California

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Hi Heirlost,

Sounds like a lot of fun:)

Is there any way you can do the backpacking first and get the HT done towards the end of your trip. Going backpacking right after an HT procedure might not be advisable. Just my 2 cents.

Best regards,

California

I could probably arrange it that way. If I get the HT done first, how long should I wait to take the rest of the trip?

I could probably arrange it that way. If I get the HT done first, how long should I wait to take the rest of the trip?

Hi Heirlost,

If you are asking how long after the HT, you should stay back and rest, then my answer would be 2 nights after the procedure. The grafts can take up to 6 days to get rooted into the scalp but as long as you are careful, you should be OK to travel 2 days post-op.

Best regards,

California

Hi Heirlost,

If you are asking how long after the HT, you should stay back and rest, then my answer would be 2 nights after the procedure. The grafts can take up to 6 days to get rooted into the scalp but as long as you are careful, you should be OK to travel 2 days post-op.

Best regards,

California

You said that continuing my backpacking trip right after the HT would not be advisable. I'm asking how long should I wait after the HT to go? I would stay in India for a week after the procedure in any case. Is there any reason that several months of traveling would be bad for the new transplants, even if I wait a week to go?

Heirlost,

I very strongly urge you not to have an HT before you travel. I took 2 months off between jobs and I can safely tell you you do NOT want to travel anywhere that soon after, especially not backpacking.

California, I'm sorry but I have to call it how I see it: that is TERRIBLE advice. Backpacking 2 days after a procedure would be HELL. As a patient advisor (and I'm hoping the recipient of an HT, preferably from the clinic you represent) I personally feel you should answer more honestly. I realise you're trying to not push the patient and remain impartial, but it doesn't really come across like that. Just my 2c.

Heirlost,

I very strongly urge you not to have an HT before you travel. I took 2 months off between jobs and I can safely tell you you do NOT want to travel anywhere that soon after, especially not backpacking.

California, I'm sorry but I have to call it how I see it: that is TERRIBLE advice. Backpacking 2 days after a procedure would be HELL. As a patient advisor (and I'm hoping the recipient of an HT, preferably from the clinic you represent) I personally feel you should answer more honestly. I realise you're trying to not push the patient and remain impartial, but it doesn't really come across like that. Just my 2c.

Hi Tj287,

Please read my post again. I NEVER advised him to go backpacking 2 day after his HT. I just said that he should be able to travel (go back home) 2 days after his procedure is done. I had clearly advised him to get done with his travel/backpacking before and NOT after his procedure.

Best regards,

California

Thanks Tj.

California originally told me not to travel:

I think he misunderstood the 2nd time and assumed I mean flying home.

Were you still feeling pain/swelling/etc in those two months? I'm curious about the whole thing.

I can wait till the end of the trip, not a big deal. I was just trying to figure out what to do. If I do the HT first, how many months should I wait before I go backpacking?

Edited by heirlost