What's more important :temple point ( triangle ) or crown?

I have my next surgery scheduled to add more density. The focus will be at the front scalp and if some grafts left they will be added to the crown.

I had a discussion during pre-op consultation and the doctor consultant recommended also extending my hairline adding temple points ( triangles) instead of keeping the straight line I have at that area.. But I also have a thin crown even with grafts from previous surgeries and wanted to get more density there. So I have to make a decision .

What offers the most cosmetic benefit : Temple points or thick crown ?

• Administrators

it's very hard to give advice with no pics do you mind posting some? It depends are your temple triangles thinning or are they gone? Is your crown loss noticeable? Has the crown expanded? It's hard to know with no pics. I will say more people will notice a bald crown before they notice temple triangles.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

it's very hard to give advice with no pics do you mind posting some? It depends are your temple triangles thinning or are they gone? Is your crown loss noticeable? Has the crown expanded? It's hard to know with no pics. I will say more people will notice a bald crown before they notice temple triangles.

As I said, I have a straight line at the temple, so assuming the temple triangles are gone.

I already had some crown work done in previous surgery but not enough to get a good density , and it looks stable now it hasn't expanded since. I can grow my hair longer and comb it back to add another layer to cover the crown but anyone can spot from a distance that the thin crown also not completely a bare bald spot

Temple peaks are more important if you have a hairline that has been transplanted. The crown gets less attention when you're being seen in public. If you are taller, the crown is going to be much less noticeable as well. If you have a Norwood 3v pattern, you should add very little density to the crown and put more focus on the temple peaks. With temple peaks, you won't need to use as much of your donor area resources to achieve the appearance of coverage.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Temple peaks are more important if you have a hairline that has been transplanted. The crown gets less attention when you're being seen in public. If you are taller, the crown is going to be much less noticeable as well. If you have a Norwood 3v pattern, you should add very little density to the crown and put more focus on the temple peaks. With temple peaks, you won't need to use as much of your donor area resources to achieve the appearance of coverage.

I'm Norwood 6

• Administrators
As I said, I have a straight line at the temple, so assuming the temple triangles are gone.

I already had some crown work done in previous surgery but not enough to get a good density , and it looks stable now it hasn't expanded since. I can grow my hair longer and comb it back to add another layer to cover the crown but anyone can spot from a distance that the thin crown also not completely a bare bald spot

What bugs you more? personally as someone who is also norwood 6, my temporal peaks are thinning but not gone yet, I chose to transplant my crown because I feel people notice my crown loss much more, especially now that my hairline appears not balding at all, maybe down the line I will do the temporal peaks, but I want to get descent coverage in the crown enough so that I could disguise it with styling. Its all a matter of preference.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

What bugs you more? personally as someone who is also norwood 6, my temporal peaks are thinning but not gone yet, I chose to transplant my crown because I feel people notice my crown loss much more, especially now that my hairline appears not balding at all, maybe down the line I will do the temporal peaks, but I want to get descent coverage in the crown enough so that I could disguise it with styling. Its all a matter of preference.

The crown bugs more, but not sure about the perception of others. I haven't even noticed that the temple triangle has gone until the clinic asked me if I wanted to do it and started looking at Juvenile hairlines that all have this triangle.

I can see where many may say temporal peaks because they frame the face, the problem is in nature generally you don't see temporal peaks on type 6 individuals. So, in reversing your thinning before you can have temporal peaks your crown needs more coverage otherwise it could look odd. The problem is some type 6 can't cover their crown and therefore should not do their temporal peaks. The degree of your temporal peaks should be in relation to how much crown is covered. Type 6 can also get caught up in needing to back fill if it recedes, with no donor left available. Be a bit careful.

Patient Educator, Shapiro Medical. Going on 20years with Dr Ron Shapiro......not a regular poster, I leave that to Janna

• Administrators
The crown bugs more, but not sure about the perception of others. I haven't even noticed that the temple triangle has gone until the clinic asked me if I wanted to do it and started looking at Juvenile hairlines that all have this triangle.

You said it all with juvenile hairlines as a class 6 I doubt you have anything remotely even close to a juvenile hairline, in my opinion temporal peaks should be reserved as a finishing touch once the three major areas have been addressed and have adequate density, meaning the front third, midscalp, and crown. Trust me people will notice a bald crown first then your temporal peaks, why? Because people are trained to know that people bald from the crown, most people don't even pay attention to temporal peaks, it definitely frames the face better, but should only be done once everything else has been finished, unless your forehead looks to wide, but that's hard to say without photos.

View my thread